Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Quantum gravity and cosmology

1. Mar 24, 2016 #1
    In wich branch of physics we can put Quantum Gravity and Cosmology ?
    -astrophysics ?
    -relativity ?
    -quantum mechanics ?
    -classical mechanics?
    Or other ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2016 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

What is this obsession with categorization? And why do you think two different subjects are necessarily in the same branch?

4. Mar 24, 2016 #3
    i know that those 2 subjects are not in the same branch but i want to leanr more about quatum gravity and more about cosmology (those are 2 different subjects) and first i have to determine those 2 in wich branch they are

5. Mar 24, 2016 #4

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

Why?

6. Mar 24, 2016 #5
    i have some branches i want to do i want to know Cosmology and Quantum gravity in wich one they are (i mean each one .. in wich branch)

7. Mar 24, 2016 #6

berkeman

So when you go to wikipedia and look up each of those subjects individually, what do you find? Surely you can do your categorization exercise on your own using wikipedia...

8. Mar 24, 2016 #7
    I think OP simply means which Physics Forum to use when posting questions about Quantum Gravity - particularly relating to Cosmology? Could be "Quantum Physics" or "Special and General Relativity" or "Cosmology". I'd try the latter and see what happens, if nothing, try the others.

9. Mar 24, 2016 #8

berkeman

Multiple/cross-posting is against the PF rules. If a member wants their thread moved, they need to click on the Report link in their post, and ask the Mentors to move the thread.

10. Mar 25, 2016 #9
    - that's what I meant. But since he may not have read the PF rules, thanks for clarifying

11. Mar 25, 2016 #10
    No i dont mean that . I mean in wich branch we study cosmology and quantum gravity

12. Mar 25, 2016 #11

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I think this is where I came in.

13. Mar 25, 2016 #12

Nugatory

If you want to study quantum gravity or cosmology... Then you study quantum gravity or cosmology. You will not be in a position to study either topic until have a solid grounding in all the foundational areas of physics: quantum mechanics, special and general relativity, classical mechanics, statistical mechanics. Thus, it's silly to ask which "branch" you need - you need them all.

14. Mar 25, 2016 #13
    Yeh i think this is good i need all of them . But electricity , i think that i don't need it in all of that quantum physics ,gravity , darke energy and matter , black holes . Should i learn electricity branch in these things ?

15. Mar 25, 2016 #14

Nugatory

You absolutely need electricity and magnetism - it is an essential part of basic physics. Until you have learned the elementary stuff, which is to say everything that will be covered in a serious undergraduate program plus a year or so of additional study, you will not even be able to read a paper on, for example, quantum gravity.

16. Mar 25, 2016 #15
    A course on English Composition wouldn't hurt either

17. Mar 29, 2016 #16

Zafa Pi

Gold Member

What is the branch of English Composition?

18. Mar 30, 2016 #17
    Teaches how to express your thoughts clearly using the English language

19. Mar 30, 2016 #18
    English is my third language its for that

20. Mar 30, 2016 #19

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Why do some people think that they can do a 100 meter sprint when they haven't even learned how to crawl?

This question should be clear in ANY level of English.

Zz.

21. Mar 30, 2016 #20
    - Translation web sites, like Google translate, are useful. When needing to post in another language, first I translate my English to that language; then, translate it back. Change garbled phrases, try again. When it comes back making sense I figure it's good to go. With a little practice you learn how to phrase things simply; and, reading the translation helps me pick up the other language.

- Also, mention you're not proficient in English, everybody will cut you some slack.
    - Because they're young and foolish. Later on, you're still foolish, but at least you no longer want to do a 100 meter sprint

[EDIT] of course I'm using the generic "you": i.e. "one is still foolish". Just in case there's any misunderstanding

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted