1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum - infinite chain of wells

1. Jul 23, 2017 #1
    An electron can tunnel between potential wells. Its state can be written as:

$$
    |\psi\rangle=\sum^\infty_{-\infty}a_n|n\rangle
    $$

Where $|n \rangle$ is the state at which it is in the $n$th potential well, n increases from left to right.

$$
    a_n=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(\frac{-i}{3}\right)^{|n|/2}e^{in\pi}
    $$

What is the probability of finding the election in well $0$ or above?

Is this probability
    $$|a_0|^2+|a_1|^2+...$$
    or is it $$|a_0+a_2+...|^2$$?

I am leaning towards the first option but this doesn't use the exponential phase factor.

My reasoning is, let $$|\phi \rangle$$ be the superposition of everything 0 and above:
    $$
    |\phi\rangle=\frac{\sum^{\infty}_{0}a_n|n\rangle}{\sqrt{\sum^{\infty}_0|a_n|^2}}
    $$

The denominator normalises everything.
    Taking the inner product we get:

$$
    \langle\phi|\psi \rangle=\frac{\sum^{\infty}_{0}|a_n|^2}{\sqrt{\sum^{\infty}_0|a_n|^2}}=\sqrt{\sum^{\infty}_0|a_n|^2}
    $$

The mod square of this is the sum of the individual probabilities.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This one.

The phase factor will only be relevant if you start evolving the state with a Hamiltonian that is not diagonal in the given basis or want to know if the system is in a particular state that is a different linear combination.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted