1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanics: Angular Momentum Operators

1. Feb 28, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use the spin##-1## states ##|1,1\rangle, \ |1,0\rangle, \ |1, -1\rangle## as a basis to form the matrix representations of the angular momentum operators.

2. Relevant equations

##\mathbb{\hat{S}}_+|s,m\rangle = \sqrt{s(s+1)-m(m+1)}\hbar|s,m+1\rangle##
    ##\mathbb{\hat{S}}_-|s,m\rangle = \sqrt{s(s+1)-m(m-1)}\hbar|s,m-1\rangle##

3. The attempt at a solution

I am wonder how exactly do I compute the equations listed above? So I have ##\langle1,1|\mathbb{\hat{S}}_+|1,1\rangle## but why would this equal ##0##.

Also, ##\langle1,1|\mathbb{\hat{S}}_+|1,0\rangle = \sqrt{2}\hbar## and ##\langle1,0|\mathbb{\hat{S}}_+|1,0\rangle = 0##, why is that? How do I use the equations, given above, to substitute the given states?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2015 #2
    To find the matrix elements we can use these formulas (with ##s = 1##)
    ##\mathbb{\hat{S}}_+|s,m\rangle = \sqrt{s(s+1)-m(m+1)}\hbar|s,m+1\rangle##
    ##\mathbb{\hat{S}}_-|s,m\rangle = \sqrt{s(s+1)-m(m-1)}\hbar|s,m-1\rangle##
    then we "bra" them from the left by ##\langle 1, m' \mid## and use the orthogonality property
    $$\langle 1, m' \mid 1, m \rangle = \begin{cases} 1 & m = m' \\ 0 & m \neq m'\end{cases} $$

So, for example
    ##\langle 1, 1|\mathbb{\hat{S}}_+|1,0\rangle = \sqrt{1(1+1)-0(0+1)}\hbar\langle 1, 1|1,1\rangle = \sqrt{2} \hbar##

4. Feb 28, 2015 #3
    Can you elaborate please? So no matter the state, i.e. it could be a state ##\frac{3}{2}##, if ##m\ne m'## it will always be ##0##?

5. Feb 28, 2015 #4
    Yes it will always be zero if they are not equal, regardless of ##s##.

6. Feb 28, 2015 #5
    I see, thank you very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted