1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanics: Degenerate Perturbation Theory on square well

1. Jun 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi I am trying to apply degenerate perturbation theory to a three dimensional square well v= 0 for x, y,z interval 0 to a, perturbed by H' = xyz (product) from 0 to a, otherwise infinite. I need to find the correction to energy of the first excited state which I know is triply degenerate. I am using Griffith's text book.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The problem I am having is in constructing the matrix. the one that looks like
    Waa Wab
    Wba Wbb

Or H11 H12
    H21 H22
    as some other text books calls it. I know for this problem I need to use a three dimensional matrix the above is just to clarify. Specifically my problem arises when i need to solve the values of the non diagonal elements. say Wab because this leads to an integral that I can't seem to solve the integral of say:
    integrate x sin(Ax) sin(Bx) between 0 and a, where A and B are different because the wave functions are different say that n=1 for the argument in A and n=2 for the argument in B. so that the wave functions are [tex]\psi[/tex] 112 and [tex]\psi[/tex]211. Now I am trying to avoid solving the integral having been unsucsesful in numerous attempts and instead use another approach of finding an operator that commutes with H' and H (the unpeturbed system). So my new problem is an operator that I can use. I have never before used this method and there isn't really a worked example in the book. So any help with this integral (see bottom) or in using this method will be much appreciated. How do I know which operator to use and since they have simultaneous eigenfunctions wouldn't the diagonal elements be the same as using non degenerate perturbation theory <ψ | H'|ψ > or am I now using different eigenfunctions than those of the square well?
    E=∫_0^a▒〖xsin(xπ/a) sin⁡(2πx/a)dx〗
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2009 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Your integral is of the form x sin(ax) sin(bx). There are many ways to do this. You could first use sin(ax)sin(bx) = (1/2)cos((a-b)x) - (1/2)cos((a+b)x), then you have to integrate x cos(cx), which can be done by integration by parts.

4. Jun 23, 2009 #3
    Thanx for the help, I forgot about that identity, haven't used it in a while.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook