1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum mechanics- eigenvectots of a linear transformation

1. Apr 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

My quantum mechanics text (in an appendix on linear algebra) states, "f the eigenvectors span the space... we are free to use them as a basis..." and then states:

T|f1> = λ1f1
    T|fn> = λnfn

My question is: is it not true that fewer than n vectors might constitute this "new" basis? In other words, if the eigenvectors span the space, they may not (all together, at least) form a basis.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

No, this is a basic result from linear algebra for vector spaces of finite dimension. In an n-dimensional space, every basis has to have n vectors.

4. Apr 29, 2013 #3
    Yes, I see. But when, then, all the talk about "An eigenbasis for a linear operator that operates on a vector space is a basis for that consists entirely of eigenvectors of (possibly with different eigenvalues). Such a basis may not exist."

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eigenvalues_and_eigenvectors under the heading 'eigenbasis'

5. Apr 30, 2013 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

It's possible that an operator will not have n linearly independent eigenvectors, so its eigenvectors can not span the vector space and therefore will not form a basis.

Your text, however, is saying if the eigenvectors span the space, they can be used as a basis. The assumption is that the linear operator has n linearly independent eigenvectors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted