1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum mechanics Hermitian operator

1. Jul 2, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have the criteria:

## <p'| L_{n} |p>=0 ##,for all ##n \in Z ##

##L## some operator and ## |p> ##, ## |p'> ##some different physical states

I want to show that given ## L^{+}=L_{-n} ## this criteria reduces to only needing to show that:

##L_n |p>=0 ## for ##n>0 ##

2. Relevant equations
    look up , look down,

3. The attempt at a solution

##<p'|L_n|p>^{+}=<p|L_n^{+}|p'>=<p|L_{-n}|p'>##

So from this I can deduce that showing :

##<p'|L_n|p>^{+}## is satisfied is equivalent to showing that ##<p|L_{-n}|p'>## is satisfied.

I.e I can reduce the criteria from showing for all ##n \in Z## to showing for ##n>0## only, BUT I am still sandwiched between two different physical states, I don't understand how this means you can reduce further to showing only that ##L_n |p>=0##, ##n >0 ## acting on solely a ket/bra...

Many thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2017 #2
    So I don't understand some of your notation. Do you mean [itex]L_n^\dagger = L_{-n}[/itex]? Also are [itex]|p>[/itex] and [itex]|p'>[/itex] arbitrary? It seems like having an operator act on a ket and then taking the inner product always giving zero would mean the operator gives zero on the ket. All the extra parts about [itex]n[/itex] aren't really relevant. You can consider one [itex]n[/itex]. If [itex]L_n=0[/itex] the you can show [itex]L_{-n}[/itex] =0 if they are related by conjugation.

4. Jul 10, 2017 #3
    yes
    mm I thought the idea for using two different states ## |p'> ## and ## |p> ## is to show that this result holds for general arbitrary states, rather than showing that ##<p|L_n|p> = 0 ## . I agree that if we wanted to show that this was zero then ##L_n|p> = 0## is enough for the inner product to be zero.

yup

5. Jul 10, 2017 #4
    I just can't imagine a situation where if [itex]<p|L_n|p'>=0[/itex] for all [itex]|p>[/itex] and [itex]|p'>[/itex] and they aren't equal that [itex]L_n \neq 0 [/itex]. For example say [itex] |p'> = L_n|p> [/itex]. I mean it must be some state right? Then the condition implies [itex]<p'|p'> =0 [/itex] which by the properties of vector implies [itex]|p'> = L_n |p> =0[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted