Quantum mechanics Hermitian operator

In summary: I guess you could say that if <p|L_n|p'> = 0 for all |p> you can't make a statement about |p'> being L_n|p> as it is a statement about the inner product. Wait I think I understand why. Since there are infinite possible states |p> and |p'> and we only consider |p> states then some |p'> may not be expressible as L_n|p> for any |p> and still satisfy <p|L_n|p'> =0. I think I get it now! Thanks for the help!In summary, the given criteria for the operator L to satisfy <p'|L_n|p>=0 for all n
binbagsss

Homework Statement

I have the criteria:

## <p'| L_{n} |p>=0 ##,for all ##n \in Z ##

##L## some operator and ## |p> ##, ## |p'> ##some different physical states

I want to show that given ## L^{+}=L_{-n} ## this criteria reduces to only needing to show that:

##L_n |p>=0 ## for ##n>0 ##

Homework Equations

look up , look down,

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
##<p'|L_n|p>^{+}=<p|L_n^{+}|p'>=<p|L_{-n}|p'>##

So from this I can deduce that showing :

##<p'|L_n|p>^{+}## is satisfied is equivalent to showing that ##<p|L_{-n}|p'>## is satisfied.

I.e I can reduce the criteria from showing for all ##n \in Z## to showing for ##n>0## only, BUT I am still sandwiched between two different physical states, I don't understand how this means you can reduce further to showing only that ##L_n |p>=0##, ##n >0 ## acting on solely a ket/bra...

Many thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
So I don't understand some of your notation. Do you mean [itex]L_n^\dagger = L_{-n}[/itex]? Also are [itex]|p>[/itex] and [itex]|p'>[/itex] arbitrary? It seems like having an operator act on a ket and then taking the inner product always giving zero would mean the operator gives zero on the ket. All the extra parts about [itex]n[/itex] aren't really relevant. You can consider one [itex]n[/itex]. If [itex]L_n=0[/itex] the you can show [itex]L_{-n}[/itex] =0 if they are related by conjugation.

Dazed&Confused said:
So I don't understand some of your notation. Do you mean [itex]L_n^\dagger = L_{-n}[/itex]? Also are [itex]|p>[/itex] and [itex]|p'>[/itex] arbitrary?

yes
Dazed&Confused said:
It seems like having an operator act on a ket and then taking the inner product always giving zero would mean the operator gives zero on the ket.

mm I thought the idea for using two different states ## |p'> ## and ## |p> ## is to show that this result holds for general arbitrary states, rather than showing that ##<p|L_n|p> = 0 ## . I agree that if we wanted to show that this was zero then ##L_n|p> = 0## is enough for the inner product to be zero.
Dazed&Confused said:
All the extra parts about [itex]n[/itex] aren't really relevant. You can consider one [itex]n[/itex]. If [itex]L_n=0[/itex] the you can show [itex]L_{-n}[/itex] =0 if they are related by conjugation.

yup

I just can't imagine a situation where if [itex]<p|L_n|p'>=0[/itex] for all [itex]|p>[/itex] and [itex]|p'>[/itex] and they aren't equal that [itex]L_n \neq 0 [/itex]. For example say [itex] |p'> = L_n|p> [/itex]. I mean it must be some state right? Then the condition implies [itex]<p'|p'> =0 [/itex] which by the properties of vector implies [itex]|p'> = L_n |p> =0[/itex].

1. What is a Hermitian operator in quantum mechanics?

A Hermitian operator in quantum mechanics is a linear operator that is equal to its own adjoint, meaning that its eigenvalues are all real numbers. This is important because it allows for the measurement of observables in quantum systems, as the eigenvalues of a Hermitian operator correspond to the possible outcomes of a measurement.

2. How is a Hermitian operator different from a general linear operator?

A general linear operator does not necessarily have real eigenvalues, whereas a Hermitian operator does. Additionally, a Hermitian operator must be self-adjoint, meaning that it is equal to its own adjoint, while a general linear operator does not necessarily have this property.

3. What is the significance of Hermitian operators in quantum mechanics?

Hermitian operators play a crucial role in quantum mechanics because they correspond to measurable physical quantities, such as energy, momentum, and spin. This allows for the prediction of experimental results and the understanding of quantum systems.

4. Can any operator in quantum mechanics be Hermitian?

No, not all operators in quantum mechanics can be Hermitian. For a linear operator to be Hermitian, it must satisfy specific mathematical criteria, such as being equal to its own adjoint. However, many important operators in quantum mechanics, such as the Hamiltonian operator, are Hermitian.

5. How do Hermitian operators relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that certain pairs of physical properties, such as position and momentum, cannot be precisely measured simultaneously. Hermitian operators play a role in this principle as they correspond to observables, and the uncertainty principle can be mathematically derived from the properties of Hermitian operators and their eigenvalues.