Quantum Mechanics Killed My Cat

In summary, the conversation is about the difficulty of a Quantum Mechanics II midterm exam and the students' experiences with it. One person mentions how their professor had previously claimed the exam would be easy, but the problems ended up being challenging. Another person expresses their anticipation for their exam results.
franznietzsche
For those of you who have used Griffiths textbook, you should know what I mean. The cat died while going through the book.

At any rate, I had my Quantum Mechanics II midterm yesterday. I wanted to cry after walking out of there. Hour long class, and the exam took me an hour and forty minutes (and I was still the first one done). Looking back on it, the problems shouldn't have been that hard, but they were.

Although, this is the same professor who last year while handing out the exam says 'There's nothing you haven't seen before, its all stuff we did in class...' and the first problem begins 'Imagine you are in an alternate universe where energy is actually repsented by...' I've been told people wanted to cry after that one too.

Fun day. Can't wait to get the exam back.

Physics news on Phys.org
Man, Sid, me, you. I'm telling you. Its in the air people, its in the air.

Im sure you did fine.

I can understand your frustration and disappointment with your Quantum Mechanics II midterm. It is certainly not uncommon for exams to be challenging and take longer than expected, especially in a subject as complex as quantum mechanics. However, I would caution against attributing the difficulty of the exam to the subject itself. Quantum mechanics is a fundamental theory that has greatly advanced our understanding of the physical world and has led to countless technological advancements. It is not responsible for the death of your cat or the difficulty of your exam.

It is also important to keep in mind that a challenging exam does not necessarily reflect your understanding or ability in the subject. It is a measure of your performance on a specific set of problems in a limited amount of time. It is possible that the exam was designed to push you to think critically and apply your knowledge in new and unfamiliar ways, rather than simply recalling information from class.

I understand that the exam may have been overwhelming, but I encourage you to continue learning and exploring the fascinating world of quantum mechanics. With determination and perseverance, you will be able to overcome any challenges and become a successful scientist in the field. Don't let one exam discourage you from pursuing your passion for quantum mechanics.

1. What is "Quantum Mechanics Killed My Cat"?

"Quantum Mechanics Killed My Cat" is a humorous phrase that is sometimes used to illustrate the strange and counterintuitive principles of quantum mechanics. It is not to be taken literally, but rather as a way to understand the bizarre concepts of quantum physics.

2. How does quantum mechanics relate to cats?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. The principles of quantum mechanics are often difficult to comprehend because they contradict our everyday experiences and observations. Using the example of a cat, which is a common household pet, helps to illustrate the strange and counterintuitive nature of quantum mechanics.

3. Can quantum mechanics really "kill" a cat?

No, quantum mechanics cannot literally kill a cat. The phrase "Quantum Mechanics Killed My Cat" is meant to be humorous and does not reflect the true nature of quantum mechanics.

4. What are some key principles of quantum mechanics?

Some key principles of quantum mechanics include superposition, where particles can exist in multiple states at the same time; entanglement, where particles become connected and can influence each other's behavior; and uncertainty, where it is impossible to know both the position and velocity of a particle at the same time.

5. Why is quantum mechanics important?

Quantum mechanics is important because it helps us understand the behavior of particles at the subatomic level, which is crucial for many technological advancements such as computers, lasers, and medical equipment. It also has implications for our understanding of the universe and how it works, as well as potential applications in fields such as cryptography and quantum computing.