1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanics: Linear and Circular polarization states

1. Feb 2, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate the matrix elements ##
    {\mathbb S}=\left( \begin{array}{cc} \langle x|\mathbb{\hat J}_z|x\rangle& \langle x|\mathbb{\hat J}_z|y\rangle\\
    \langle y|\mathbb{\hat J}_z|x\rangle &\langle y|\mathbb{\hat J}_z|y\rangle\end{array}\right)## by expressing the linear polarization states ##|x\rangle## and ##|y\rangle## in terms of the circular polarization states ##|R\rangle## and ##|L\rangle.##

2. Relevant equations

##|R\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(|x\rangle+i|y\rangle\right)##
    ##|L\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(|x\rangle-i|y\rangle\right)##

3. The attempt at a solution

I worked out ##|x\rangle## and ##|y\rangle## and got:

##|x\rangle=\frac{1}{2}\left(|R\rangle+|L\rangle\right)##
    ##|y\rangle = \frac{-i}{\sqrt{2}}\left(|R\rangle-|L\rangle\right)##.

To get ##\mathbb{S},## do I just work out:

##
    {\mathbb S}=\left( \begin{array}{cc}
    \langle x \mid \mathbb{I} \ \mathbb{\hat J}_z \mathbb{I} \mid x \rangle
    & \langle x \mid \mathbb{I} \ \mathbb{\hat J}_z \mathbb{I} \mid y \rangle \\
    \langle y \mid \mathbb{I} \ \mathbb{\hat J}_z \mathbb{I} \mid x \rangle & \langle y \mid \mathbb{I} \ \mathbb{\hat J}_z \mathbb{I} \mid y \rangle \end{array}\right) =
    \left( \begin{array}{cc}
    \langle x \mid \pm z\rangle \langle \pm z | \ \mathbb{\hat J}_z |\pm z\rangle \langle \pm z \mid x \rangle
    & \langle x \mid \pm z\rangle \langle \pm z | \ \mathbb{\hat J}_z |\pm z\rangle \langle \pm z \mid y \rangle \\
    \langle y \mid \pm z\rangle \langle \pm z | \ \mathbb{\hat J}_z |\pm z\rangle \langle \pm z \mid x \rangle & \langle y \mid \pm z\rangle \langle \pm z | \ \mathbb{\hat J}_z |\pm z\rangle \langle \pm z \mid y \rangle \end{array}\right) \ ?
    ##

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2015 #2
    Hi. You need to find out from your coursework what the action of Jz is on |R> and |L>, that's the whole point of using them instead of |x> and |y>...

4. Feb 2, 2015 #3
    I am not understanding. So what I did was wrong?

The question asks to express ##|x\rangle## and ##|y\rangle## in terms of ##|R\rangle## and ##|L\rangle##.

5. Feb 2, 2015 #4
    That you did. But then you need to plug these relations in your matrix instead of what you did in the last part, which is what your question was about right?

6. Feb 2, 2015 #5
    So I did do it correctly and all I have to do is plug in the equations. Thank you!

7. Feb 2, 2015 #6
    Yes but then you'll still have to evaluate the matrix elements! And for that you'll need to know what <R| Jz|R> gives, for example...
    Good luck.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted