1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanics: Matrix Representation

1. Feb 1, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the matrix representation of ##\mathbb{\hat J}_z## using the states ##|+y\rangle## and ##|-y\rangle## as a basis?

2. Relevant equations

##|\pm y\rangle =\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|+z\rangle \pm \frac{i}{\sqrt{2}}|-z\rangle##

3. The attempt at a solution

A solution was given:

##\mathbb{\hat J}_z =\left[{\begin{array}{cc} \langle +y|+z\rangle & \langle +y|-z\rangle \\ \langle -y|+z\rangle & \langle -y|-z\rangle \\\end{array}}\right]\frac{\hbar}{2}\left[{\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \\\end{array}}\right]
    \left[{\begin{array}{cc} \langle +z|+y\rangle & \langle +z|-y\rangle \\ \langle -z|+y\rangle & \langle -z|-y\rangle \\\end{array}}\right] = \frac{\hbar}{2}\left[{\begin{array}{cc} 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \\\end{array}}\right],##

but I am confused on what is going on? Can anyone explain exactly what is going on, please?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2015 #2
    You have the operator [itex] \mathbb{\hat J}_z [/itex]. Normally you represent that in the z-basis, so in matrix notation the 4 matrix elements that you already know are [itex] \langle \pm z \mid \mathbb{\hat J}_z \mid \pm z \rangle [/itex]. If you want to represent [itex] \mathbb{\hat J}_z [/itex] in another basis like y you have to know the matrix elements [itex] \langle \pm y \mid \mathbb{\hat J}_z \mid \pm y \rangle [/itex] . One way to do this is to insert a unit operator/identity matrix on both sides as this has no effect:
    [tex] \langle \pm z \mid \mathbb{I} \mathbb{\hat J}_z \mathbb{I} \mid \pm z \rangle [/tex]

Now if you know that you can write the identity matrix as [itex] \sum \mid z \rangle \langle z \mid [/itex] using the completeness relation you are practically done:

[tex] \langle \pm y \mid \mathbb{I} \mathbb{\hat J}_z \mathbb{I} \mid \pm y \rangle = \langle \pm y \mid z \rangle \langle z \mid \mathbb{\hat J}_z \mid z \rangle \langle z \mid \pm y \rangle [/tex]

So the middle part [itex] \langle z \mid \mathbb{\hat J}_z \mid z \rangle [/itex] is the matrix in the already known basis
    [itex] \frac{\hbar}{2}\left[{\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \\\end{array}}\right] [/itex] And the outer parts are the matrices to transform it into an y basis.

(Note: I mix up the notation for matrix elements and the matrix itself. I probably miss a summation here and there, but I hope you understand the difference)

4. Feb 1, 2015 #3
    I think I understand now. Thank you very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted