1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Quantum Mechanics] Quantum Fisher Information for a Pure State

1. Mar 8, 2012 #1
    Hi everyone.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We are given N spins 1/2. A rotation is defined as
    [itex]\rho_\theta=e^{-i\theta J_n}\rho_\theta e^{i\theta J_n}[/itex]
    on an Hilbert Space H, with
    [itex]J_n=n_xJ_x+n_yJ_y+n_zJ_z\:,\quad n_x^2+n_y^2+n_z^2=1[/itex],
    and [itex]\theta[/itex] isn't related to any observable.
    Given a quantum state [itex]\rho=\sum_ir_i|r_i\rangle\langle r_i|[/itex],
    the Formula for the Quantum Fisher Information i've come to is
    [itex]F[\rho,J]=2\sum_{i,j}\frac{(r_i-r_j)^2}{r_i+r_j}|\langle r_i|J|r_j\rangle|^2[/itex] (which is indeed right).
    Problem is that I have to calculate the Quantum Fisher Information for a Pure state [itex]\rho=|\psi\rangle\langle\psi|[/itex].
    The solution should be [itex]F[\rho,J]=4\Delta_\psi^2J[/itex],
    where [itex]\Delta_\psi^2J=\langle\psi|J^2|\psi\rangle-(\langle\psi|J|\psi\rangle)^2[/itex] is the variance of J, but I can't come to it

2. Relevant equations
    I have to use the given equation for Fisher Information with the fact that [itex]\rho[/itex] is pure.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have difficulties in how to procede. In pure states all the coefficient [itex]r_i[/itex] should be 0, except for one of the, which should be 1.
    Any idea?
    Many thanks, this is quite urgent :(

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2012 #2
    With ρ = | ri >< ri | I get the result... (split J2 and insert Ʃj | rj >< rj |)

4. Mar 8, 2012 #3
    Problem is that I don't get how [itex]r_i[/itex] and [itex]r_j[/itex] behave with this particular
    [itex]\rho[/itex]
    What do you mean by splitting [itex]J^2[/itex]?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook