Ballentine Problem 8.5 (angular momentum)

EE18
Homework Statement
Ballentine asks us "Show that the three-dimensional single particle state functions ##\Psi_{m}(\mathbf{x}):= f(r)Y_l^{m}(\theta,\phi)## and ##\Psi_{-m}(\mathbf{x})## have the same position and momentum distributions."
Relevant Equations
See below.
I am struggling with the latter, and think that I somehow need to assume ##f## is real-valued to proceed?

My work:
The position distributions are equal since
$$P_{-m}(\mathbf{x}) = |\Psi_{-m}(\mathbf{x})|^2 = |f(r)Y_l^{-m}(\theta,\phi)|^2 = |f(r)(-1)^m(Y_l^{m})^*|^2 = P_m(\mathbf{x})$$
if we recall that the magnitude of a complex conjugate is equal to the original complex number.

The momentum distributions are equal since (using (5.4) and inserting position space completeness twice)
$$P_{-m}(\mathbf{x}) = |\braket{\mathbf{p}}{\Psi_{-m}}|^2 \equiv \braket{\mathbf{p}}{\Psi_{-m}}\braket{\Psi_{-m}}{\mathbf{p}} =\frac{1}{(2\pi\hbar)^3}\int d\mathbf{x} e^{-i\mathbf{p}\cdot\mathbf{x}}f(r)Y_l^{-m}(\theta,\phi)\int d\mathbf{x}' e^{i\mathbf{p}\cdot\mathbf{x}'}f^*(r')(Y_l^{-m})^*(\theta',\phi')$$
$$ \stackrel{(1)}{=} \frac{1}{(2\pi\hbar)^3}\int d\mathbf{x} e^{-i\mathbf{p}\cdot\mathbf{x}}f(r)(-1)^m(Y_l^{m})^*(\theta,\phi)\int d\mathbf{x}' e^{i\mathbf{p}\cdot\mathbf{x}'}f^*(r')(-1)^mY_l^{m}(\theta',\phi')$$
where in (1) we have used (7.37) and its complex conjugate and that ##(-1)^{2m} = 1##.

...But I can't go any further.

The referenced equations in my work are standard equations like the position representation of the momentum eigenstates. In particular, I think that I need to have that ##f## is real so that, after my last step, I can change variables in each integration to minus the given variable and so show the last equality. But I can't do that without being sure ##f## is real!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I observe say f(r) is real
[tex]\Phi_{-m}(\mathbf{p}) :=\frac{1}{(2\pi\hbar)^3}\int d\mathbf{x} e^{-i\mathbf{p}\cdot\mathbf{x}}f(r)Y_l^{-m}(\theta,\phi)=\frac{(-1)^m}{(2\pi\hbar)^3}\int d\mathbf{x} e^{-i\mathbf{p}\cdot\mathbf{x}}f(r)Y_l^{m}(\theta,\phi)^*=(-1)^m\Phi^*_{m}(\mathbf{-p})[/tex]
[tex]|\Phi_{-m}(\mathbf{p})|^2=|\Phi_{m}(\mathbf{-p})|^2[/tex]
Is it helpful ?

1. What is Ballentine Problem 8.5 (angular momentum)?

Ballentine Problem 8.5 refers to a specific problem in the field of quantum mechanics, as presented in the textbook "Quantum Mechanics: A Modern Development" by Leslie E. Ballentine. The problem focuses on the concept of angular momentum, which is a fundamental property of particles that describes their rotational motion.

2. Why is angular momentum important in quantum mechanics?

Angular momentum is important in quantum mechanics because it is a conserved quantity, meaning that it remains constant in a closed system. This allows scientists to make predictions about the behavior of particles based on their angular momentum, and it plays a crucial role in understanding the structure and behavior of atoms, molecules, and other quantum systems.

3. What is the mathematical equation for angular momentum?

The mathematical equation for angular momentum is L = r x p, where L is the angular momentum, r is the distance between the particle and the axis of rotation, and p is the linear momentum of the particle. In quantum mechanics, this equation is further defined using operators and the principles of quantum mechanics.

4. How is angular momentum measured in quantum systems?

In quantum mechanics, angular momentum is measured in units of h-bar, which is equal to Planck's constant (h) divided by 2π. This unit is known as the reduced Planck's constant and is denoted as ħ. The value of ħ is approximately 1.0545718 × 10^-34 joule-seconds.

5. Can angular momentum be changed or altered in a quantum system?

Yes, angular momentum can be changed or altered in a quantum system through interactions with other particles or external forces. However, the total angular momentum of a closed system will always remain constant. This is known as the conservation of angular momentum, which is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics.