Quantum Mechanincs Infinite well

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving quantized energy levels in an infinite well for a math module. The problem involves a potential function and two wave functions for different regions in the well. The boundary condition at x=a is used to find a relation between the wave numbers. The person is stuck on solving an equation involving tangent functions and is seeking advice on how to proceed in finding the quantized energy levels.
benjy1
Hi so that I can get the help for the specific problem I am working on I will set the question up and include all the steps that I can get and work out. The end question will be about quantized energy levels. This is for a maths module.

I am working on infinite wells and particularly on a question that will tend to the energy levels of an infinite well.

THE PROBLEM

v(x) = infinity x<0 and x>2a , V for a<x<2a and 0 for 0<x<a

and for the energy E>V i can work out the two wave functions

Psi=Asin(kx) for 0<x<a where k^2=2mE/h^2 (i don't know how to put h bar) and Psi= Bsin(K(2a-x)) for a<x<2a where K^2=2m(E-V)/h^2

I use the boundary condition at x=a to find the relation between K and k.

Its that the derivative and the wave functions are equal.

I have

1. Asin(ka)=Bsin(Ka)
2.Akcos(ka)=-BKcos(Ka)

So from this I can get

3. Btan(Ka)/K=-Btan(ka)/k

So now is where I am stuck. I need to solve this where V tends to zero, so this means it will be like an infinite well.
So if V tends to 0 then K tends to k.
so how do I solve 3? I can't cancel the B because B=0 might be a solution.

So what I am thinking is that it is either B=0 or tan(ka)=0

so for tan(ka)=0 we have sin(ka)=0 so k=npi/a

For B=0 then from 1 and 2 we get different solutions. I don't want A=0 so that is ruled out.

I need to find the quantized energy levels. These must be the same as for the infinite well case i.e E=(h*pi*n)^2/8*m*a^2.

To do this k has to be equal to n*pi/2a.

So any advice on what to do further please? Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If any of the people that looked at the problem need any information please let me know.

Any feedback is helpful.

1. What is the concept of an "infinite well" in quantum mechanics?

An infinite well is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of particles confined within a potential energy barrier. It is represented as a one-dimensional box with impenetrable walls, where the particle can only exist within certain energy levels.

2. How is the "infinite well" model used in quantum mechanics?

The infinite well model is used to study the quantization of energy levels in a confined system. It helps in understanding the behavior of particles in potential wells, such as atoms, molecules, and semiconductors.

3. What is the significance of the "infinite well" in quantum mechanics?

The infinite well model allows us to understand the wave-like nature of particles and how their energy levels are quantized. It also helps in predicting the probability of finding a particle in a certain location within the well.

4. How does the "infinite well" model differ from a real-world potential well?

In reality, potential wells have finite depths and are not perfectly impenetrable like the infinite well model. This means that in a real-world system, there is a small probability of finding a particle outside of the well, whereas in the infinite well model, the particle is strictly confined within the well.

5. What are the limitations of the "infinite well" model in quantum mechanics?

The infinite well model is a simplified theoretical model and does not accurately represent all real-world systems. It does not take into account factors such as particle interactions, external forces, and quantum tunneling. It is mostly used as a teaching tool to introduce students to the concept of quantization in quantum mechanics.