Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum oscillator from position to momentum space

1. Jul 7, 2015 #1
    So I've read you can get the corresponding wave function of a quantum harmonic oscillator in momentum space from position space by making the substitution ##x \to k## and ##m \omega \to 1/m \omega##.

However in deriving the TISE for momentum space, I seem to be making a mistake. In momentum space ##P## acts like ##\hbar k## and ##X## acts like ##i d/dk.##

The TISE is $$\left ( \frac{P^2}{2m} + \frac12 m \omega^2 X^2 \right) \psi = \left ( \frac{\hbar^2 k^2}{2m} - \frac12 m \omega^2 \frac{d^2}{dk^2} \right ) \psi = E\psi. $$

Therefore $$\psi'' + \frac{2}{m \omega^2} \left ( E - \frac{\hbar^2 k^2}{2m} \right) = 0.$$

The equivalent equation in position space is $$\psi'' + \frac{2m}{\hbar^2} \left ( E -\frac12 m\omega^2x^2 \right ) \psi = 0.$$

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Edit: incorrect operators, can be deleted.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2015 #2
  4. Jul 7, 2015 #3

Avodyne

Science Advisor

It's not ##x\to k##, it's ##x\to p##. So replace ##P## with ##p## and ##X## with ##i\hbar d/dp##, and see what you get.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook