Quantum physics- atomic states

In summary, the question is asking for the full designation of all possible singlet, doublet, triplet, and quartet S, P, and D atomic states. The spectral notation for these states can be determined by looking at the angular momentum (superscript) and multiplicity (subscript) values. The maximum number of valence electrons is 8, with each electron having the ability to spin up or down. The multiplicity is given by 2S+1, with singlet, doublet, triplet, and quartet terms having S values of 0, 1/2, 1, and 3/2 respectively. It is unclear if all possible combinations of electron spin must be listed, but providing
brad sue

Homework Statement

Give the full designation (e.g. 3P0) for all possible singlet, doublet, triplet and quartet S, P and D atomic states.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand this question at all!

Up to which values does the angular momentum (supscript) and multiplicity (subcript) go?
please can you provide me with some explanation and a little example?

I continue reading and update if i have some clarifications.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I'm a bit unsure of what part is holding you back. Are you getting tripped up on the spectral notation?

Mindscrape said:
Sorry, I'm a bit unsure of what part is holding you back. Are you getting tripped up on the spectral notation?

I think I get the notation. The main issue is what values for example the multiplicity can take? The maximum number of valence electrons is 8 i believe. and each electron can spin up or down. do i need to enumerate all combinations electron spin! this is a lot and I am not sure this the the correct anwer...

Can you clarify what i need to do?

I can't say for sure, but my impression as an outsider (not being in your class and knowing what you are studying) is that it just wants the spectral notation for all the singlets, doublets, triplets, and quartets.

A term with S=0 is a singlet term; S=1/2 is a doublet term; S=1 is a triplet term; S=3/2 is a quartet term; etc.
[tex]N^{2S+1}L_J[/tex]

(I guess you are omitting the N here.)

Dunno, I could be wrong, but this is my interpretation. The multiplicity is given by 2S+1, but I don't know if you have to list off all of them. Maybe you do. Shouldn't take too long as it's relatively straightforward.

for your question. Quantum physics is a complex and constantly evolving field, so it is understandable that you may not fully understand this question. To provide a response, I will first define some terms and then provide the requested information.

Quantum physics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as the atomic and subatomic level. One of the fundamental principles of quantum physics is the concept of atomic states, which refers to the different energy levels that an electron can occupy within an atom.

In atomic physics, the designation of an atomic state is typically represented by a combination of letters and numbers. The letter indicates the type of orbital (s, p, d, f) and the number represents the principal quantum number (n). For example, the 3P0 designation indicates an electron in the p orbital with a principal quantum number of 3 and an angular momentum of 0.

Now, to answer the question, the full designation for all possible singlet, doublet, triplet, and quartet S, P, and D atomic states are as follows:

Singlet S states: 1S0, 2S0, 3S0, 4S0, ...

Doublet P states: 2P1, 3P1, 4P1, ...

Triplet P states: 2P2, 3P2, 4P2, ...

Quartet P states: 2P3, 3P3, 4P3, ...

Doublet D states: 3D1, 4D1, 5D1, ...

Triplet D states: 3D2, 4D2, 5D2, ...

Quartet D states: 3D3, 4D3, 5D3, ...

The angular momentum (superscript) can go up to the principal quantum number (n) minus 1. For example, for a 3S state, the angular momentum can be 0, 1, or 2. The multiplicity (subscript) can go up to 2S+1, where S is the total spin quantum number. For example, for a 3S state, the multiplicity can be 2S+1 = 2(0)+1 = 1, so it is a singlet state.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the question.

1. What is the definition of quantum physics?

Quantum physics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of subatomic particles, such as electrons and photons, and their relation to energy. It explains how these particles behave and interact on a microscopic level.

2. What are atomic states in quantum physics?

Atomic states refer to the specific energy levels and configurations of an atom's electrons. In quantum physics, electrons can only exist in discrete energy levels, and their position and momentum are described by probability distributions rather than definite values.

3. How are atomic states determined in quantum physics?

Atomic states are determined by the quantum numbers of an electron, which describe its energy level, orbital shape, and orientation within an atom. These quantum numbers are determined by the Schrödinger equation, which is the fundamental equation of quantum mechanics.

4. What is the significance of atomic states in quantum physics?

Atomic states play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of atoms and their interactions with other particles. They also explain the properties of elements and how they form chemical bonds. Atomic states also have practical applications, such as in the development of technologies like lasers and transistors.

5. How does quantum physics explain atomic transitions?

Quantum physics explains atomic transitions as the movement of electrons between different energy levels. These transitions occur when an atom absorbs or emits energy, causing an electron to jump to a higher or lower energy level. The probability of these transitions is described by the laws of quantum mechanics.