1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum physics- atomic states

1. Sep 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Give the full designation (e.g. 3P0) for all possible singlet, doublet, triplet and quartet S, P and D atomic states.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I dont understand this question at all!

Up to which values does the angular momentum (supscript) and multiplicity (subcript) go?
    please can you provide me with some explanation and a little example?

I continue reading and update if i have some clarifications.
    Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2010 #2
    Sorry, I'm a bit unsure of what part is holding you back. Are you getting tripped up on the spectral notation?

4. Sep 18, 2010 #3
    I think I get the notation. The main issue is what values for example the multiplicity can take? The maximum number of valence electrons is 8 i believe. and each electron can spin up or down. do i need to enumerate all combinations electron spin!! this is a lot and I am not sure this the the correct anwer...

Can you clarify what i need to do?

5. Sep 20, 2010 #4
    I can't say for sure, but my impression as an outsider (not being in your class and knowing what you are studying) is that it just wants the spectral notation for all the singlets, doublets, triplets, and quartets.

A term with S=0 is a singlet term; S=1/2 is a doublet term; S=1 is a triplet term; S=3/2 is a quartet term; etc.
    [tex]N^{2S+1}L_J[/tex]

(I guess you are omitting the N here.)

Dunno, I could be wrong, but this is my interpretation. The multiplicity is given by 2S+1, but I don't know if you have to list off all of them. Maybe you do. Shouldn't take too long as it's relatively straightforward.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook