1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum physics experiments for EEI

1. Jun 19, 2015 #1
    (Hope this is the right forum)

For my year 12 physics EEI (extended experimental investigation) basically a report. I was hoping to find a suitable quantum mechanics experiment that i could conduct. Does anyone know of an experiment like this?

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What are your ideas so far? What research have you done so far on this?

4. Jun 19, 2015 #3
    Hey, are you from Australia? I remember doing E.E.I.s... God I hated them. Well done doing quantum physics as a topic for your E.E.I. though. Complex and challenging, right? That sounds like a hard topic to do not only because the theory is difficult but it is difficult to do an experiment on (I think you would need very special equipment). The simplest thing I can think of is to do something similar to Young's Slits, which doesn't require a lot of equipment and the theory (wave interferences) is not too complicated.

My best advice for doing an E.E.I., however, is to make it as clear as possible what you are testing. You are doing an experiment to see what the natural phenomena you observe is, what the theory behind it is, and if it is consistent with that theory. Do not use theory to produce the data for you! For example, do not do mathematical calculations (a priori) to produce your data. The data must come from your experiment (a posteriori) and then you see if the data is consistent with the mathematical theory.

Good luck!

EDIT: Just another point to add: I am also saying don't go too far off on tangents. Be clear about what you are testing and stick to it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted