1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum:- SHO potential and its energy

1. Jan 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

the energy levels of a particle mass in a symmetric 3d SHO potential are:

E = (nx + ny + nz + 3/2)*h-bar*[tex]\sqrt{\frac{C}{m}}[/tex]

C=constant
    n=principal quantum number = nx + ny + nz

A) If 10 electrons are in the potential whats the lowest possible value for the total energy of all the electrons?

B) If instead 10 pi- mesons are placed in th same potential what is the lowest possible value of the total energy of the mesons?

3. The attempt at a solution

A)
    for 10 electrons with + or - 1/2 spin the l quantum number is 2 as if the electrons were in an atom there would be s, p, d orbitals
    This means that n is and integer greater than 2 [lowest n is 3]

so E = (3+3/2)*h-bar*[tex]\sqrt{\frac{C}{m}}[/tex])
    me = mass of electron

= (9/2)*h-bar*[tex]\sqrt{\frac{C}{10me}}[/tex])

i did think that maybe the l quantum number should be 3 but it doesn't need to be in this example it just has 2 as the lowest possible. if all electrons had same spin direction then it would need l=3 due to PEP

B)
    would the answer be the same as above? as l=2 but the mass would be 2730me as pi meson is approx 273 times mass of electron
    = (9/2)*h-bar*[tex]\sqrt{\frac{C}{2730me}}[/tex])

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2010 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Consider that the electron is a Fermion and the pi meson is a Boson. The energy levels they can occupy are different.

4. Jan 10, 2010 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The atomic quantum numbers [itex]nlm[/itex] don't apply at all here. That's for an electron in a Coulomb potential. In the 3D SHO, the states are labeled by [itex]n_x[/itex], [itex]n_y[/itex], and [itex]n_z[/itex]. The ground state would be [itex](n_x,n_y,n_z)=(0,0,0)[/itex]. At the next energy level, there are three degenerate states, [itex](1,0,0), (0,1,0), (0,0,1)[/itex], and so on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook