Finding all possible energy states faster without using a calculator

In summary: This can be done in Python using the following code:In summary, Python code can be used to find the number of states in a 3D box with volume size L^3. There are 300 energy states and 271 states can be found using direct method. However, this is not a timed examination question, so there is no need to solve it faster.
benagastov
Homework Statement
A 3 dimensional box with volume size L^3, the inner potential is zero and the
potential in its bound is infinite. There is a particle with the mass m, if the
system's energy range between ##100E_0## until ##136E_0## with ##E_0=\frac{n^2\pi ^2}{2mL^2}##. Find all possible number of states by:

1. Direct method
2. Approximation using phi = 3.14
3. If particle filled with 15 particles and each states only could be filled with 1 particle and the system is in the lowest energy, find the system's energy!
Relevant Equations
##E_0=\frac{n^2\pi ^2}{2mL^2}##
I tried to find states in direct method using ##\frac{E}{E_0}=\:nx^2+ny^2+nz^2## and ##100\:<nx^2+ny^2+nz^2\:<\:136##
But it was too long, found it using phi approximation there are around 300 energy states, and Python find around 271 states using direct method but I need manual or recursive method to prove the direct method.

Python code: https://www.online-python.com/r4t0Fv7B3p

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 100
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
benagastov said:
Homework Statement:: A 3 dimensional box with volume size L^3, the inner potential is zero and the
potential in its bound is infinite. There is a particle with the mass m, if the
system's energy range between ##100E_0## until ##136E_0## with ##E_0=\frac{n^2\pi ^2}{2mL^2}##. Find all possible number of states by:

I tried to find states in direct method using ##\frac{E}{E_0}=\:nx^2+ny^2+nz^2## and ##100\:<nx^2+ny^2+nz^2\:<\:136##
But it was too long, found it using phi approximation there are around 300 energy states, and Python find around 271 states using direct method but I need manual or recursive method to prove the direct method
Hi @benagastov and welcome to PF.

There are some problems with the question.

It looks like ‘n’ in the given expression for energy should be ℏ.

The question should state that the box is a cube (though we can infer this from the question).

The question’s wording for the required energy-range is unclear. Possibilities would give:
a) ##100 < n_x^2 + n_y^2 + n_z^2 < 136##
b) ##100 < n_x^2 + n_y^2 + n_z^2 ≤ 136##
c) ##100 ≤ n_x^2 + n_y^2 + n_z^2 < 136##
d) ##100 ≤ n_x^2 + n_y^2 + n_z^2 ≤ 136##

(I ran a short program to count the states. I got 268 states for a) and c), but 271 states for b) and d)).

A simple program to do the counting seems a perfectly acceptable ‘direct’ method.

Note that there are many degenerate states. It is not clear if you are expected to determine the total number of states including degenerate ones, or count each set of degenerate states as one state.

However, if you are required to solve this with a direct manual method, you might be able to take advantage of the degeneracy. For example, if ##n_x, n_y## and ##n_z## are different (and give a valid energy), you get 6 (degenerate) states. This still sounds awkward. But that's all I can suggest.

Likes benagastov
Thank you, the d) is the correct one (with 271 states). My Latex is wrong, sorry
##100 ≤ n_x^2 + n_y^2 + n_z^2 ≤ 136##

And with degeneracy, I still don't know how to calculate it in around 25 minutes. Would you mind to show me how to solve it faster? What I know is the maximum nx, ny and nz is 11 because 12 squared is equal to 144 which is not allowed

Can we use this mathematical method?
https://brilliant.org/wiki/fermats-sum-of-two-squares-theorem/
https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/17496/number-of-integer-solutions-of-x2-y2-k

Last edited:
benagastov said:
And with degeneracy, I still don't know how to calculate it in around 25 minutes. Would you mind to show me how to solve it faster? What I know is the maximum nx, ny and nz is 11 because 12 squared is equal to 144 which is not allowed
You mention ‘25 minutes’. Is this a timed examination question? That seems a bit rough!

The following approach will give the number of different energy-levels (most of which are degenerate).

Legendre’s three square theorem is described here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legendre's_three-square_theorem I’ll use the link’s notation.

Consider 100≤n≤136. Using the three-square theorem, find how many (of the 37 different) values of n there are, that can not be expressed as the sum of three squares. We then know how many of the 37 values are allowed.

To do this, generate all the values of n=4ª(8b+7) in the range of interest using a=0,1,2,.. and b = 0,1,2…

1. How can we find all possible energy states without using a calculator?

One way to find all possible energy states faster without using a calculator is by using mathematical equations and formulas. These equations can help us calculate the energy levels of a system and determine all the possible states.

2. Can we use any specific techniques to speed up the process of finding energy states without a calculator?

Yes, there are several techniques that can help us find all possible energy states faster, such as using approximation methods, simplifying the equations, and breaking down complex systems into smaller parts.

3. Is it possible to find all possible energy states accurately without using a calculator?

While using a calculator can provide more precise results, it is possible to find all possible energy states accurately without using one. This requires a thorough understanding of the mathematical principles and careful calculations.

4. How important is it to find all possible energy states in scientific research?

Finding all possible energy states is crucial in many scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It helps us understand the behavior and properties of different systems and can lead to breakthroughs in various industries.

5. Are there any limitations to finding all possible energy states without using a calculator?

One limitation is that it can be time-consuming and challenging to find all possible energy states manually, especially for complex systems. Additionally, human error can occur during calculations, leading to inaccuracies in the results.