Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Tunneling math and Schrodinger's Equation

1. Feb 18, 2010 #1
    Hi,

I'm doing a research project for my high school physics class. I originally set out to research touch screens but was disappointed with how simple the mechanics of the iphone are (or at least the basic physics of it). I continued researching and found that soon Quantum Tunneling may be used in touch screens for a pressure-sensitive touch. However, I need to have some type of math tying into my project, and I know nothing of Quantum Tunneling Composite.

I found out about the spiky balls and how the current overcomes the barrier easily as they are pushed closer together reducing the width of the barrier, so I feel I have a basic grasp on things, but I need to somehow use math with it. So I found the Schrodinger Equation...Can anyone help me with learning enough background so that I can understand the Schrodinger Equation and use it to find the probability that the current or an electron will overcome the barrier in a Quantum Tunneling Composite .... and is it possible to even do this? If anyone has any other ideas for using math in my project im all ears.

Thanks in advance! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2010 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook