Quantum Tunneling math and Schrodinger's Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Quantum Tunneling in touch screens for a pressure-sensitive touch. The person is looking for ways to incorporate math, specifically the Schrodinger Equation, into their research project. They have a basic understanding of how Quantum Tunneling works, but need more background knowledge to fully utilize it in their project. They also ask for any other ideas for using math in their project.
Stevenpd
Hi,

I'm doing a research project for my high school physics class. I originally set out to research touch screens but was disappointed with how simple the mechanics of the iphone are (or at least the basic physics of it). I continued researching and found that soon Quantum Tunneling may be used in touch screens for a pressure-sensitive touch. However, I need to have some type of math tying into my project, and I know nothing of Quantum Tunneling Composite.

I found out about the spiky balls and how the current overcomes the barrier easily as they are pushed closer together reducing the width of the barrier, so I feel I have a basic grasp on things, but I need to somehow use math with it. So I found the Schrodinger Equation...Can anyone help me with learning enough background so that I can understand the Schrodinger Equation and use it to find the probability that the current or an electron will overcome the barrier in a Quantum Tunneling Composite ... and is it possible to even do this? If anyone has any other ideas for using math in my project I am all ears.

Thanks in advance! :)

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is quantum tunneling?

Quantum tunneling is a phenomenon in which a particle is able to pass through a potential barrier that would be impenetrable according to classical physics. This is possible due to the wave-like nature of particles at the quantum level.

2. How is quantum tunneling described mathematically?

Quantum tunneling is described by the Schrodinger's equation, which is a mathematical equation that describes the evolution of a quantum system over time. It takes into account the wave function of the particle and the potential energy of the system.

3. What is Schrodinger's equation?

Schrodinger's equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the wave function of a quantum system changes over time. It takes into account the potential energy of the system and the properties of the particle, such as its mass and momentum.

4. How does quantum tunneling affect everyday life?

Quantum tunneling has a significant impact on many everyday technologies, such as transistors and microchips. It also plays a crucial role in nuclear fusion, radioactive decay, and many other natural phenomena.

5. Can quantum tunneling be observed?

Yes, quantum tunneling can be observed in certain experiments, such as the scanning tunneling microscope, which uses the principle of quantum tunneling to image surfaces at the atomic level. It can also be observed in other physical systems, such as superconductors and semiconductors.