Question about a solid cylinder

In summary, the problem involves a solid cylinder pivoted around a frictionless axle with ropes exerting forces on different radii. The moment of inertia is given and the task is to find the angular acceleration. Reviewing concepts of angular motion and their counterparts in linear motion may help in solving the problem.
ScienceGeek24

Homework Statement

A solid cylinder is pivoted about a frictionless axle as shown. A rope wrapped around the outer radius of 2 m exerts a downward force of 3N. A rope wrapped around the inner radius of 0.7 m exerts a force of 8 N to the right. The moment of inertia of the cylinder is 8 kg m^2. Find the angular acceleration.

Homework Equations

Don't even know whre to start of since i never had a problem like this in mastering physics hm. (this is from a review sheet of my physics test on Tuesday)

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea, I'm in hopes you can orientate me in this one.

Attachments

• torque.png
    torque.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 460
Physics news on Phys.org
ScienceGeek24 said:

Homework Statement

A solid cylinder is pivoted about a frictionless axle as shown. A rope wrapped around the outer radius of 2 m exerts a downward force of 3N. A rope wrapped around the inner radius of 0.7 m exerts a force of 8 N to the right. The moment of inertia of the cylinder is 8 kg m^2. Find the angular acceleration.

Homework Equations

Don't even know whre to start of since i never had a problem like this in mastering physics hm. (this is from a review sheet of my physics test on Tuesday)

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea, I'm in hopes you can orientate me in this one.

You want to review the concepts of angular motion including torque, moment of inertia, angular momentum, angular velocity, angular acceleration. All of these things have their counterparts in linear motion, and the forms of the equations that relate the quantities is the same, too (which makes things easier to remember!).

I think i should. But i'll get back to you if i haven't been able to solve it.

1. What is a solid cylinder?

A solid cylinder is a three-dimensional shape that has two parallel circular bases connected by a curved surface. It is a type of cylindrical solid, meaning it has a circular cross-section and a uniform shape throughout.

2. How is the volume of a solid cylinder calculated?

The volume of a solid cylinder is calculated by multiplying the area of its circular base by its height. The formula for volume is V = πr2h, where r is the radius of the circular base and h is the height of the cylinder.

3. What is the difference between a solid cylinder and a hollow cylinder?

A solid cylinder is a three-dimensional shape with a uniform thickness throughout, while a hollow cylinder has a hollow center. The walls of a hollow cylinder are usually thinner than those of a solid cylinder.

4. What are the real-life applications of a solid cylinder?

Solid cylinders have many practical applications, such as in construction and engineering for creating pipes, poles, and columns. They are also used in everyday objects like cans, bottles, and rollers.

5. How can you measure the surface area of a solid cylinder?

The surface area of a solid cylinder can be calculated by adding the area of the two circular bases and the area of the curved surface. The formula for surface area is A = 2πrh + 2πr2, where r is the radius of the circular base and h is the height of the cylinder.