1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about a solid cylinder

1. Mar 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A solid cylinder is pivoted about a frictionless axle as shown. A rope wrapped around the outer radius of 2 m exerts a downward force of 3N. A rope wrapped around the inner radius of 0.7 m exerts a force of 8 N to the right. The moment of inertia of the cylinder is 8 kg m^2. Find the angular acceleration.

2. Relevant equations

Don't even know whre to start of since i never had a problem like this in mastering physics hm. (this is from a review sheet of my physics test on Tuesday)

3. The attempt at a solution
    No idea, I'm in hopes you can orientate me in this one.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You want to review the concepts of angular motion including torque, moment of inertia, angular momentum, angular velocity, angular acceleration. All of these things have their counterparts in linear motion, and the forms of the equations that relate the quantities is the same, too (which makes things easier to remember!).

4. Mar 4, 2012 #3
    I think i should. But i'll get back to you if i haven't been able to solve it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook