Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Alexander and Briggs notation

1. Dec 2, 2005 #1
    I am writing a small paper on Knot Theory for my undergrad geometry course and I have a question about the tabulation of knots.

The books I have discuss the different notations, except for the ALexander and Briggs notation, which is used in the tables provided in the appendices.

I believe I understand the notation, but I want to be sure.

[tex]4_1[/tex] which refers to the figure eight knot means that this is the first knot of the class of knots that has 4 crossings that cannot be undone by Reidemeister moves. correct? If that is the case, then in the set of knots with 8 fundamental crossings, is there any significance to their ordering in the table? could I take [tex]8_1[/tex] and [tex]8_2[/tex] and just switch their corresponding knots? also, on some of the knots, there is a superscript. what is the significance of that?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2005 #2
    In my book (Adams), the superscripts refer to the number of components in the link. I think the subscript is just a historical ordering. For more tables, see the Knot Atlas.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?