Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about applying the Pauli Exclusion Principle

1. Sep 2, 2011 #1
    The principle states that no two identical fermions in a system can be in the same quantum state, but what I don't fully understand is how you define a "system". For example when you apply statistical thermodynamics to a gas of non-interacting fermions you say that a maximum of one can occupy each single particle state. Maybe I'm confused or forgetting something important but I don't see why you couldn't consider all fermions of a particular kind in the universe as a system of non-interacting particles in the same way and conclude that none of them can share a single particle state.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2011 #2

xts

Of course, you may consider a whole Universe as a system. Pauli's 'system' was introduced just to abstract of spatial relations. Or to reduce those spatial relations to something feasible for calculations (like atomic orbitals)

4. Sep 3, 2011 #3

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

In the abstract Dirac notation no spatial relations are required. Writing down a fermionic quantum state satisfies the Pauli principle by construction (or by the formalism). And of course it applies to the universe as a whole.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook