Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Bypassing Pauli Exclusion principle.

1. Feb 9, 2017 #1

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Suppose that somehow we could artificially bypass Pauli exclusion principle, and make electrons or any fermions for that matter occupy more than one state at the same time?

What consequences in nature will we see? what phenomenons will occur?
    Suppose this mechanism for bypassing is limited in time, and needs some kind of interaction or force to yield it.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2017 #2

Strilanc

Science Advisor

Turning that kind of thing on and off would stretch and squeeze the state space, violate reversibility and unitarity, and generally make all the math gears seize up.

Best case scenario, you could use it as a probability pump. Worst case scenario, the universe immediately pumps its probability to 0. Actual case scenario, your post gets locked because this sub-forum isn't for speculation about ways the laws of physics could be different. Especially when those ways violate the postulates of quantum mechanics, like state evolution being unitary.

4. Feb 9, 2017 #3

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What does "occupy more than one state at the same time" mean? That makes no sense.

If you mean "multiple fermions occupying the same state at the same time", that would make more sense (and would be what I would expect bypassing the Pauli exclusion principle to do). If you want to see what happens when you do that, google, for example, "Bose-Einstein condensate". Basically you're asking what would happen if fermions were bosons.

5. Feb 9, 2017 #4

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

This hypothesis actually can be recast as just reclassifying certain particles under the current laws of physics (see my previous post). But I agree this topic can't really go any further without going out of bounds. Accordingly, this thread is closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook