Question about biology - gene mapping

In summary, The question is asking how to determine if gene b is unlinked in a given genetic scenario. To do so, one must calculate the recombination frequency, which is equal to the number of recombinants (progeny with a different genotype than the parents) divided by the total number of offspring, multiplied by 100. For unlinked genes, the recombination frequency should be 50% or higher. By counting the number of progeny with the desired genotypes, one can determine if gene b is linked or not. In this particular scenario, the results suggest that gene b is unlinked.
andydan1056

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2015-08-02 at 8.17.22 PM.png

Homework Equations

RF = (#Recombinants)/(Total offspring) x 100

The Attempt at a Solution

How do I know that b is unlinked? I know that unlinked genes have a recombination frequency of 50% or higher, but how do I calculate RF for the genes here?

Physics news on Phys.org
andydan1056 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 86734

Homework Equations

RF = (#Recombinants)/(Total offspring) x 100

The Attempt at a Solution

How do I know that b is unlinked? I know that unlinked genes have a recombination frequency of 50% or higher, but how do I calculate RF for the genes here?

Practiced geneticists and maybe you by the end of these exercises or others can just look at these numbers and say ah yes this and that are linked in this order, but we have to reason it out bit by bit, remembering what linkage means.

To start you off, I would say e.g.the female is heterozygous so has genotype Aa so should have 50% A and 50% a progeny.
But don't rely on it, count them, in fact I find 500/1000 have phenotype + and same number are a.
Phenotype + is genotype Aa (AA should not be possible), phenotype a genotype aa.
Is a linked to b?
If it is unlinked, 50% of the + that have A should have B and be + for the b phenotype, a and b inherited independently.
If it is closely linked then either 100% or 0% of the a should be + for b.
I counted up just the + for a and found 254/500 of the +a were +b.
So loci a and b appear essentially unlinked.
You should also look at those that were a. Presumed genotypically aa.
So do all the combinations like that, That should give you the linkages or not, at least for the autosomals

1. What is gene mapping?

Gene mapping is the process of determining the location and relative positions of genes on a chromosome. This is typically done by using molecular markers, such as DNA sequences, to identify and track specific genes.

2. Why is gene mapping important?

Gene mapping helps us understand the structure and function of the human genome, which is essential for understanding genetic disorders and developing treatments. It also allows us to track the inheritance of traits and identify potential disease-causing genes.

3. How is gene mapping done?

Gene mapping can be done through various methods, including linkage analysis, association studies, and physical mapping. Linkage analysis involves tracking the inheritance of genetic markers and traits within families, while association studies compare genetic variations with a particular disease or trait. Physical mapping involves identifying the order and distance between genes on a chromosome.

4. What are the limitations of gene mapping?

Gene mapping is limited by the availability and accuracy of molecular markers, as well as the complexity of the human genome. It may also be challenging to determine the function of a gene solely based on its location, as genes can interact with each other and other factors in complex ways.

5. How is gene mapping used in research?

Gene mapping is used in various fields of research, including genetics, medicine, and evolutionary biology. It helps identify genetic variations that may be associated with diseases or traits, and can also aid in the development of targeted therapies and diagnostics. Gene mapping also allows us to study the evolution of genes and track their inheritance patterns in different species.