Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Cosets and Lagrange's Theorem

1. Dec 22, 2014 #1
    If a is an element of G and H is a subgroup of H, let Ha be the right coset of H generated by a.

is Ha a subgroup?

I have this question because i feel like the answer should be know, yet my textbook notation makes it look like it is.

Why I think it should only be a set:
    Let G = <a> and H = <a^3>. and |a| = 6,.
    Then H = {1,a^3}, Ha = {a,a^4} Ha^2 = {a^2,a^5}.
    To me it looks like Ha and Ha^2 can not be subgroups because they are not closed under the operation, unless the operation is multiplying the elements by a^3.. I don't know i'm confused.

But then I think they should be considered subgroups, because it goes on to say that Ha = H iff a is in H. So Ha must be a subgroup if it equals a subgroup... Anyway, anyone have insight here?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2014 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

The problem doesn't not say that [itex] a [/itex] must be an element of [itex] H [/itex]. What the textbook goes on to say about the case when [itex] a [/itex] is an element of [itex] H [/itex] is not relevant to the problem.

4. Dec 23, 2014 #3

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##Ha## is a subgroup if and only if ##Ha = H## if and only if ##a \in H##.

One easy way to see this is that if ##Ha \neq H## then ##Ha## and ##H## are disjoint, so ##Ha## does not even contain the identity element.

5. Dec 24, 2014 #4
    so when you create G out of disjoint cosets, you are joining H (a subgroup of G) with Ha, Hg, Hh, etc etc, which are only disjoint sets of elements of G?

6. Dec 24, 2014 #5

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, ##G## is the disjoint union of ##H## and the other cosets of ##H##. Only ##H## is a subgroup. The other cosets are subsets of ##G## with the same size as ##H##, but they aren't subgroups.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook