Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Hawking paradox.

1. Oct 31, 2006 #1
    I was just did a little reading on the Hawking paradox. I might be wrong but from what I understand, his arguement is that if the virtual particles forming at the event horizon were entangled, then somehow if the particle falling into the blackhole interacts with matter we can detect the changes in the other particle. Now I always thought that no useful information can be transfered through entanglement? I mean if the hawking paradox is real, wouldn't that mean it is possible to carry information using entanglement?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2006 #2
    The problem with this is "what really happens in a black hole." Although entagnlement is useful, the wavefunction becomes hard to interpret once a particle enters a black hole. Hypothetically, using entagnlement to detect a particle's movements within a black hole is possible, but unpredictable things happen once you enter the event horizon.

I am babbling of course. The Best source for the Hawking Paradox is in the book "The Universe in a Nutshell" written by Hawking himself.
  4. Nov 8, 2006 #3
    I don't believe in black holes.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?