Question about Hawking paradox.

In summary, the Hawking paradox suggests that entangled particles forming at the event horizon could potentially transmit information if one particle interacts with matter inside the black hole. This goes against the belief that entanglement cannot transfer useful information. However, the problem lies in the uncertainty of what truly happens inside a black hole and the difficulty in interpreting the wavefunction once a particle enters. Despite this, Hawking's book "The Universe in a Nutshell" provides the best source for understanding the paradox.
Flatland
I was just did a little reading on the Hawking paradox. I might be wrong but from what I understand, his argument is that if the virtual particles forming at the event horizon were entangled, then somehow if the particle falling into the black hole interacts with matter we can detect the changes in the other particle. Now I always thought that no useful information can be transferred through entanglement? I mean if the hawking paradox is real, wouldn't that mean it is possible to carry information using entanglement?

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem with this is "what really happens in a black hole." Although entagnlement is useful, the wavefunction becomes hard to interpret once a particle enters a black hole. Hypothetically, using entagnlement to detect a particle's movements within a black hole is possible, but unpredictable things happen once you enter the event horizon.

I am babbling of course. The Best source for the Hawking Paradox is in the book "The Universe in a Nutshell" written by Hawking himself.

I don't believe in black holes.

Last edited:

1. What is the Hawking Paradox?

The Hawking Paradox, also known as the Black Hole Information Paradox, is a theoretical problem proposed by physicist Stephen Hawking. It questions the conservation of information in black holes and the implications for the laws of physics.

2. How did Hawking come up with this paradox?

Hawking's paradox was a result of his work on black hole thermodynamics, which showed that black holes have a temperature and emit radiation. This raised questions about what happens to the information that falls into a black hole, as it cannot be destroyed according to the laws of physics.

3. What are the two competing theories that attempt to explain the paradox?

The two theories are the "information loss" theory, which states that information is lost forever in a black hole, and the "information preservation" theory, which suggests that information is encoded in the radiation emitted by the black hole.

4. Has the Hawking Paradox been solved?

No, the paradox remains unsolved and is still a topic of debate among physicists. Some believe that a future theory of quantum gravity will resolve the paradox, while others argue that it may never be fully solved.

5. What are the potential implications of solving the Hawking Paradox?

If the paradox is solved in favor of the "information preservation" theory, it would require a major overhaul of our understanding of black holes and the laws of physics. It could also have implications for other areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and the nature of time.