Hawking Radiation and Entanglement

In summary, there is a debate over whether Hawking Radiation can cause problems with entanglement and the Hawking information paradox. Some believe that the entangled particle pairs involved in Hawking Radiation can explain why the event horizon appears different to observers outside and inside the black hole. Others argue that the Hawking information paradox, which suggests that information cannot be destroyed or created, is a more pressing issue. However, there is still much debate and uncertainty surrounding these topics.
.Scott
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I am at odds over how Hawking Radiation can cause a problem with entanglement - or even how the pair particle to a Hawking particle can enter a black hole.

The notion behind Hawking Radiation, as I understand it, is that a particle divides above the event horizon creating two entangled particles. One escapes, the other crosses the event horizon into the black hole.

But given "Bob's" frame of reference, the one from well outside the event horizon, nothing crosses the event horizon. Alice (the adventuress who dives into the hole) may see a black hole's interior, but it is simply not part of Bob's universe. And that Hawking radiation that Bob sees isn't part of Alice's universe. Nobody see's a paradox.

So why are some worried about Hawking particles becoming entangled with each other?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not aware that entanglement is an issue w/ Hawking radiation but that could just be my own ignorance.

More importantly, this whole business of "particle pairs" being what Hawking radiation IS, is a a red herring. Hawking himself said that this was an ANALOGY that was the best he could do to give an English language description of what the radiation REALLY is, which can only actually be described with math. I don't have a citation for that but when I mentioned it in a post some months back, someone gave a citation for it in that thread.

The Hawking information paradox doesn't have anything to do with the particle-anti-particle pair entanglement. It simply has to do with the fact that the Hawking radiation is thought to be completely thermal in nature, and not carrying any information content what-so-ever. Therefore, all the information in all the states of particles which fell into the black hole to make it will eventually be lost.

phinds said:
I'm not aware that entanglement is an issue w/ Hawking radiation but that could just be my own ignorance.

More importantly, this whole business of "particle pairs" being what Hawking radiation IS, is a red herring. Hawking himself said that this was an ANALOGY that was the best he could do to give an English language description of what the radiation REALLY is, which can only actually be described with math. I don't have a citation for that but when I mentioned it in a post some months back, someone gave a citation for it in that thread.
One aspect of the issue of entanglement bears (or apparently bears) on the issue of the firewall.

When Bob watches Alice fall through the event horizon, I believe most people now agree that he sees her fried by a firewall. On the other hand, Alice should not see any indication of the firewall - because event horizons are purely a product of your reference frame. If the Hawking radiation is created by virtual (and therefore entangled) pairs, it explains how Alice would see nothing. If these pairs are not virtual, then they can't be hidden from Alice - so Alice will see the firewall - violating the "No Drama" arguments about event horizons.

My point is simply that it doesn't matter if the pairs are entangled because from Bob's point a view, the descending particle never makes it to the event horizon anyway.

Matterwave said:
The Hawking information paradox doesn't have anything to do with the particle-anti-particle pair entanglement. It simply has to do with the fact that the Hawking radiation is thought to be completely thermal in nature, and not carrying any information content what-so-ever. Therefore, all the information in all the states of particles which fell into the black hole to make it will eventually be lost.
So you are comfortable with quantum information being destroyed or created? From what I gather, most people who work with QM are not. In fact, in a video just posted to another thread by Doug Huffman, Professor Leonard Susskind listed it as the "-1st" law other thermodynamics - two positions in the list before the first law of thermodynamics.

Matterwave said:

That's not all there is to it. The black hole information paradox as usually stated is that even if you just assume the information that fell into the black hole gets encoded into the Hawking radiation somehow in order to preserve unitarity, then the information seems to exist in two places at once. Hawking radiation emanates from the event horizon of a black hole, not its interior, and so just prior to emission the information appears to exist both at the black hole's boundary and in its interior. This would violate the No Cloning Theorem and hence unitarity. That's why it's called the black hole information paradox rather than, say, the black hole information problem: it seems like you have to allow unitarity to be violated in order to prevent unitarity being violated.

.Scott said:
So you are comfortable with quantum information being destroyed or created? From what I gather, most people who work with QM are not. In fact, in a video just posted to another thread by Doug Huffman, Professor Leonard Susskind listed it as the "-1st" law other thermodynamics - two positions in the list before the first law of thermodynamics.

Why do you think Matterwave is comfortable with information being destroyed? He was explaining what the black hole information paradox is, not dismissing it as a non-problem.

LastOneStanding said:
Why do you think Matterwave is comfortable with information being destroyed? He was explaining what the black hole information paradox is, not dismissing it as a non-problem.
Ahhh. You're right. After rereading, he was only describing the paradox.

.Scott said:
But given "Bob's" frame of reference, the one from well outside the event horizon, nothing crosses the event horizon. Alice (the adventuress who dives into the hole) may see a black hole's interior, but it is simply not part of Bob's universe. And that Hawking radiation that Bob sees isn't part of Alice's universe. Nobody see's a paradox.

Bob does not see Alice disappearance and Alice still receive Bob's photons.

naima said:
Bob does not see Alice disappearance and Alice still receive Bob's photons.
The debate is whether Alice sees the firewall. I see no reason why Alice should see the firewall. That's important because Bob's event horizon isn't suppose to be significant to Alice - it's just more space that she's falling through.

Alice will see things very different from Bob. But what is important is that nothing that Alice sees violates any of the QM rules. In other words, you can't put together a paradox based on a combination of what Alice sees and what Bob sees. They are allowed to see very different things.

1. What is Hawking radiation?

Hawking radiation is a phenomenon proposed by physicist Stephen Hawking in which black holes emit radiation due to quantum effects near the event horizon. This radiation causes black holes to slowly lose mass and eventually evaporate.

2. How does Hawking radiation relate to the black hole information paradox?

The black hole information paradox is the puzzle of whether information about objects that fall into a black hole is lost forever or can be preserved. Hawking radiation suggests that information can be encoded in the radiation emitted by black holes, potentially solving the paradox.

3. What is entanglement?

Entanglement is a quantum phenomenon in which two or more particles become connected in a way that their states are dependent on each other, even when separated by large distances. This means that measuring the state of one particle can instantly determine the state of the other particle.

4. How does entanglement relate to Hawking radiation?

Some theories propose that Hawking radiation is entangled with particles that fall into a black hole. This means that the information about the particles that fall into the black hole may be encoded in the radiation emitted by the black hole.

5. What are the implications of Hawking radiation and entanglement for our understanding of the universe?

Hawking radiation and entanglement have significant implications for our understanding of black holes, the nature of information, and the behavior of matter and energy at the quantum level. These phenomena challenge traditional theories and continue to be areas of active research in the field of physics.