Question about inverse operators differential operators

In summary: There are two equivalent ways to write an integral: ##\int f(x)dx## or ##\int dxf(x)##. The latter is often used in physics, because their expressions of ##f(x)## are frequently quite long, such that it is helpful to note at the start which is the integration variable.
cmcraes
Hi all, so I'm not sure if what I'm asking is trivial or interesting, but is there any general or canonical way to interpret say, The follwing operator? (Specifically in the study of quantum mechanics):

A = 1/(d/dx) (I do not mean d-1/dx-1, which is the antiderivative operator )

How would Aψ behave and what (if any) eigenvalues would It have? I'm assuming ψ is in the space of square integrable functions and is normalized.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
cmcraes said:
Hi all, so I'm not sure if what I'm asking is trivial or interesting, but is there any general or canonical way to interpret say, The follwing operator? (Specifically in the study of quantum mechanics):

A = 1/(d/dx) (I do not mean d-1/dx-1, which is the antiderivative operator )

How would Aψ behave and what (if any) eigenvalues would It have? I'm assuming ψ is in the space of square integrable functions and is normalized.

Thanks!

You can make sense of it in terms of Fourier transforms:

[itex]\psi(x) = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int dk e^{i k x} \tilde{\psi}(k)[/itex]
[itex](\frac{d}{dx})^n \psi(x) = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int (ik)^n e^{i k x} \tilde{\psi}(k)[/itex]

If the integral on the right converges for some value of [itex]n[/itex], then you can let that be the definition of [itex](\frac{d}{dx})^n \psi(x)[/itex] for [itex]n[/itex] negative or even fractional.

Likes blue_leaf77
stevendaryl said:
You can make sense of it in terms of Fourier transforms:

[itex]\psi(x) = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int dk e^{i k x} \tilde{\psi}(k)[/itex]
[itex](\frac{d}{dx})^n \psi(x) = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int (ik)^n e^{i k x} \tilde{\psi}(k)[/itex]

If the integral on the right converges for some value of [itex]n[/itex], then you can let that be the definition of [itex](\frac{d}{dx})^n \psi(x)[/itex] for [itex]n[/itex] negative or even fractional.

Hi, thanks for your answer. Where does the d come from in your first formula? I've never seen it there before.

That's just the notation for integration [itex]\int dk[/itex] is an integral over [itex]k[/itex]

cmcraes said:
Hi, thanks for your answer. Where does the d come from in your first formula? I've never seen it there before.
There are two equivalent ways to write an integral: ##\int f(x)dx## or ##\int dxf(x)##. The latter is often used in physics, because their expressions of ##f(x)## are frequently quite long, such that it is helpful to note at the start which is the integration variable. The first one is, I think, more traditional and the usual one in mathematics.

1. What is an inverse operator?

An inverse operator is an operator that undoes the action of another operator. In the context of differential operators, the inverse operator reverses the effect of the original operator, resulting in the original function.

2. What are differential operators?

Differential operators are mathematical operators that act on functions to produce new functions. They involve differentiation, or taking derivatives, and are commonly used in calculus and other areas of mathematics and physics.

3. How are inverse operators related to differential operators?

Inverse operators are the mathematical counterparts to differential operators. They are used to undo the effect of a differential operator, essentially "undoing" the process of differentiation.

4. What is the importance of inverse operators in mathematics?

Inverse operators are important in mathematics because they provide a way to recover the original function from its derivative. They also have applications in solving differential equations and other mathematical problems.

5. How are inverse operators used in real-world applications?

Inverse operators have numerous practical applications, such as in signal processing, image reconstruction, and data analysis. They are also used in physics to solve problems related to motion, heat transfer, and quantum mechanics.