Question about probability of union

In summary, P(A U B) means the probability that either A or B is true. However, when we have inequalities, we cannot add them like regular numbers. Therefore, P(A U B) = P(x1 > δ or x2 > k-δ) is not equal to P(x1+x2 > δ+(k-δ)=k).
St41n
If x1, x2 positive random variables and we have the following two events:

A={x1 > δ}
B={x2> k-δ}

where 0<δ<k

then is it true that:

P(A U B) = P( x1+x2 > δ+(k-δ)=k ) ?

If true can you explain why is that?
Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi St41n! :wink:

No, P(A U B) means the probability that either A or B is true.

So P(A U B) = P(x1 > 1 or x2 > 1). :smile:

yes i know this is the definition of P(A U B), but does it imply anything about the sums when we have inequalities?

Also, I made some changes to my original post. Can you take a look again?

St41n said:
… when we have inequalities?

You can't add inequalities like that, it just doesn't work.
Also, I made some changes to my original post. Can you take a look again?

Sorry, still doesn't work.

Ok I see, thanks

What is the concept of probability of union?

The probability of union is a mathematical concept that refers to the likelihood of two or more events occurring together. It is represented by the symbol "P(A ∪ B)" and is calculated by adding the individual probabilities of each event and then subtracting the probability of their intersection.

How is the probability of union different from the probability of intersection?

The probability of union and the probability of intersection are two different concepts in probability theory. While the probability of union calculates the likelihood of two or more events occurring together, the probability of intersection calculates the likelihood of two or more events occurring at the same time. In other words, the probability of union is the probability of either event A or B occurring, while the probability of intersection is the probability of both event A and B occurring.

What is the formula for calculating the probability of union?

The general formula for calculating the probability of union of two events A and B is: P(A ∪ B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A ∩ B). This formula can be extended for calculating the probability of union of more than two events by adding or subtracting the probabilities of their intersections accordingly.

Can the probability of union be greater than 1?

No, the probability of union can never be greater than 1. This is because the maximum probability of any event occurring is 1. Therefore, the probability of two or more events occurring together can never be greater than the probability of any one of those events occurring alone.

How can the probability of union be useful in real-life situations?

The concept of probability of union is applicable in various real-life situations, such as in insurance, genetics, and risk analysis. For example, in insurance, the probability of union can be used to calculate the likelihood of multiple events (such as car accidents) occurring together, which helps insurance companies determine the premiums to charge. In genetics, it is used to calculate the probability of inheriting certain traits from parents. In risk analysis, it helps to assess the likelihood of multiple risks occurring simultaneously and plan accordingly.