Question about pursuing mathematics

In summary, the speaker is a business/CS major at University of Pennsylvania who wants to switch to the liberal arts program to study math. They are concerned about their ability to succeed at a higher level in math and are asking for advice on how to gauge their potential. The expert suggests taking math classes along with business courses, and warns that higher level math classes require more outside work. They also advise not to give up on math if struggling in lower level classes.
Wooh
I am currently a business/CS major at the University of Pennsylvania, and am trying to make the (very painful) switch out of the business school and into the liberal arts program to study math (I know, I know...UPenn is reknowned for math, but whatever, good enough for me).

Here's my question...I'm taking Calc 3 (Green's Theorem, Stoke's Theorem, basic vector calculus and so on) and I find it to be, not difficult, per se, but still you know, something that takes learning.

Math has always come easily to me, and I enjoy the subject with the greatest of passions, and have always wanted to try and learn as much of it as possible at the highest level possible, but how do I gauge if I'm smart enough, that is, have the raw reasoning capacity to actually succeed at a higher level in math?

This may sound absurd, but I guess I am afraid of dropping business, which from UPenn is a guaranteed well paying job, for Math if at some point I'm going to hit a wall and not be able to pursue my dream.

Your thoughts? Is it bad if, when presented with new material, even something as low as calc 3, it takes a little time to get, work out some problems to understand, etc, without having instant intuition?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is hard to tell how far you can go in math if you have only had calc 3. You should continue your business stuff and take a math class along with it. So if you are in calc 3 now, take differential equations and linear algebra next and if you still like math go higher. Just a warning though calc 1,2,3, diff eq's and linear are easy math classes and don't require much out side of the classroom time compared to the upper level math classes that are required for a degree in math like analysis, abstract algebra and topology. So if you find yourself struggling in diff eq's and linear you may want to save yourself the grief and just get a minor in math.

you don't have a chance unless you take one

i say go for it

What kind of job opportunities are available for someone pursuing mathematics?

There are a variety of career paths available for someone with a degree in mathematics, such as data analyst, statistician, actuary, financial analyst, and operations research analyst. Additionally, many industries, including technology, finance, and government, value the problem-solving and analytical skills gained from studying mathematics.

Is it necessary to have a strong background in math before pursuing a degree in mathematics?

While it is helpful to have a strong foundation in math, it is not always necessary. Many universities offer introductory courses for students who may not have a strong math background but are interested in pursuing a degree in mathematics. With dedication and hard work, anyone can succeed in studying mathematics.

What skills are important for someone pursuing a career in mathematics?

Some important skills for someone pursuing a career in mathematics include critical thinking, problem-solving, logical reasoning, and strong analytical skills. Additionally, having a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and the ability to communicate complex ideas clearly are also important skills to have.

What are the benefits of studying mathematics?

Studying mathematics can lead to a wide range of benefits, both personally and professionally. It can improve critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, increase job opportunities and earning potential, and provide a strong foundation for further education in fields such as engineering, finance, and computer science. It also helps to develop logical and abstract thinking skills that can be applied in various aspects of life.

What are some common misconceptions about studying mathematics?

One common misconception is that mathematics is only for "geniuses" and is not accessible to everyone. In reality, anyone can learn and excel in mathematics with dedication and practice. Another misconception is that mathematics is only useful for solving equations and has no real-world applications. In fact, mathematics is used in various industries and fields, including technology, finance, and medicine, and has numerous practical applications in our daily lives.