Question about relative abundance of particles before annihilation

In summary, the conversation discusses the relative abundance of particles and antiparticles created before the two periods of annihilation: (1) protons/neutrons and anti-protons/anti-neutrons, and (2) electrons and positrons. The OP presents their understanding about this topic and seeks confirmation or correction on their ideas, including the impact of temperature on the equilibrium abundance of particles. The conversation concludes with the decision to start a new thread to focus on one specific question.
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
I am looking to correct my understanding about the relative abundance of particles and antiparticles created before the two periods of annihilation:
(1) protons/neutrons and anti-protons/anti-neutrons, and
(2) electrons and positrons.​

In a previous thread
I presented my understanding about this, but I have since decided that I made some mistakes. I had previously assumed that the relative rest mass of particles was relevant to their relative abundance, but I overlooked that at temperatures high enough for all particles to be created with relativistic speeds the relative rest masses were insignificant.

So, what I would like is someone to either to confirm or correct the following ideas:
(a) Well before the period of (1) annihilation, the relative abundance of (1) particles would be about the same as that of the (2) particles.
(b) Just before (1) annihilation, the (1) particles would not be relativistic when created, but the (2) particles would be.​
Question 1: What would the relative abundance of (1) and (2) particles be just before (1) annihilation?
(c) After (1) annihilation, but before (2) annihilation, the number density of (2) particles would decline as the scale factor a increased with expansion. This decline would be inversely proportional to a3. However, the decline should be faster than this because the temperature is also declining, and that should also have an effect on the equilibrium between the creation of (2) particles and their mutual annihilation.​
Question 2. How does the equilibrium abundance of a protons and electrons depend on temperature.

I will have some more questions later, but getting answers to the above is my first priority.

Greg Bernhardt said:
is it possible to reword the post?
Hi @Greg Bernhardt:

Thanks for the automated encouragement. I am not sure that it is easy for anyone to answer any of my questions, or to find a reference that would help. I guess I was too optimistic in putting this post together. I think the best thing I can try is to start a new thread with just one of the questions.

Regards,
Buzz

Thread closed as the OP has started a new one.

1. What is relative abundance of particles before annihilation?

Relative abundance of particles before annihilation refers to the ratio of the number of particles in a system before they annihilate to the total number of particles in the system.

2. Why is the relative abundance of particles before annihilation important?

The relative abundance of particles before annihilation is important because it can provide information about the initial conditions of the system and can help in understanding the dynamics of the annihilation process.

3. How is the relative abundance of particles before annihilation calculated?

The relative abundance of particles before annihilation is calculated by dividing the number of particles of a specific type (such as protons or electrons) by the total number of particles in the system.

4. Can the relative abundance of particles before annihilation change over time?

Yes, the relative abundance of particles before annihilation can change over time as particles annihilate and new particles are created.

5. What factors can affect the relative abundance of particles before annihilation?

The relative abundance of particles before annihilation can be affected by factors such as the energy and temperature of the system, the types of particles present, and any external forces or interactions acting on the particles.