Question about Schrodinger equation

In summary, the Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics developed by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrodinger in 1925. It describes the changes in the quantum state of a physical system over time and allows for the prediction of particle behavior with high accuracy. The significance of this equation lies in its revolutionizing impact on our understanding of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. Its key components include the wave function, representing the quantum state of the system, and the Hamiltonian, representing the total energy. Additionally, the Schrodinger equation is related to the uncertainty principle, which states that the exact position and momentum of a particle cannot be known simultaneously.
3m0k177y
Ok, I understand the schrodinger equation for the most part, the thing is though, I don't understand what ∂ means...
In the equation:(∂^2ψ/∂x^2)+8(pi)m/h^2(E-V)ψ=0
It pops up two times. The rest of the equation is kinda self explanatory, but I don't know what on Earth ∂ means
please, tell me, the ignorance is killing me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Partial derivative.
The Schrodinger equation is a partial differential equation (PDE).
As for what it means, I guess I'll leave it to you to explore yourself :)

here is a good description of the equation

Last edited by a moderator:
3m0k177y said:
Ok, I understand the schrodinger equation for the most part, the thing is though, I don't understand what ∂ means...
In the equation:(∂^2ψ/∂x^2)+8(pi)m/h^2(E-V)ψ=0
It pops up two times. The rest of the equation is kinda self explanatory, but I don't know what on Earth ∂ means
please, tell me, the ignorance is killing me.

Partial derivative. Do you know calculus? Its part of calculus, multivariable that is.

Partial derivative i.e. if ψ is a function of two variables x and y, then it will be differentiated only with respect to x and the part of the function consisting of variable y will be treated as a constant. You may need to read up on it to fully grasp the concept of partial derivatives

What is the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the quantum state of a physical system changes over time. It is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a certain location at a certain time.

Who developed the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation was developed by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrodinger in 1925. He was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1933 for his contributions to the development of quantum mechanics.

What is the significance of the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation revolutionized our understanding of the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It allowed for the prediction of the behavior of particles with unprecedented accuracy, leading to advancements in fields such as chemistry, biology, and technology.

What are the key components of the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a mathematical equation that describes the evolution of the wave function, a mathematical representation of the quantum state of a system. It includes the Hamiltonian, which represents the total energy of the system, and the wave function itself, which contains information about the state of the system.

How is the Schrodinger equation related to the uncertainty principle?

The Schrodinger equation is related to the uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle. The Schrodinger equation describes the probability of finding a particle in a certain position, which is a manifestation of this principle.