Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about simple analysis proof

1. Jan 10, 2012 #1
    I saw a proof on a textbook, but I don't understand why m and n should not both be even?

Prove p^2 =2 then p is irrational

(1) p^2 = 2
    is not satisfied by any rational p. If there were such a p, we could write p = m/n
    where m and n are integers that are not both even.

Then (1) implies

(2) m^2=2n^2

This shows that m^2 is even.

Hence m is even (if m were odd, m 2 would be odd),and so m^2 is divisible by 4.
    It follows that the right side of (2) is divisible by 4,
    so that n  is even, which implies that n is even.

The assumption that (1) holds thus leads to the conclusion that both m
    and n are even, contrary to our choice of m and n. Hence (1) is impossible for
    rational p.

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

We can choose m and n not both even.

Indeed, let's say that [itex]p=\frac{12}{8}[/itex] then both the numerator as the denominator are even. But we can simplify it as [itex]p=\frac{3}{2}[/itex], not not both are even.

So we can always write p=m/n with not both m and n even. If m and n were both even, then we can just simplify the fraction.

4. Jan 10, 2012 #3
    thanks for the reply, but I still don't understand why is m and n both are even a conclusive evidence that p is not a rational?

5. Jan 10, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

We assumed p to be rational. We could write p=m/n with m and n not both even. But then we reasoned further and we found that m and n were both even. This is a contradiction, so the hypothesis that p be rational was false. Thus p is irrational.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook