1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about spectrophotometry and resveratrol

1. Mar 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to determine the concentration of resveratrol in my sample of wine. How would i do this using spectrophotometry? I know it has an absorbance of 306nm in an ethonal solution, but i've only good wine. Do I create an absorbance graph of known resveratrol concentrations in ethanol at306nm and create a graph, then measure the absorbance of the wine and compare it to the graph?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2013 #2
    yes, I would definitely make a graph with different concentrations of resveratrol in ethanol, this will give you a good relantion between concentration and absorbance from there you can calculate the concentration of it. Also I would do 3 trials for each known concentration, just to make sure you are on the right standard diviation.

4. Mar 29, 2013 #3

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

It's worth noting that wine is a complex mixture and could contain other compounds that could absorb at 306 nm and interfere with your measurements.

5. Mar 29, 2013 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use 12% ethanol in water for your stock solutions rather than plain ethanol.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted