1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetics question (Chemical engineering)

1. May 31, 2017 #1
    • Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
    Hey!

I have a question regarding this question that I have to answer. It is about the kinetics of a substance X whose product is 2Y. It is in Swedish and here is the translation:

The absorbance of a 0,030M-solution of X was calculated with the help of a Spectrometer. The Spectrometer was calibrated to measure the absorbance of the product Y in the following reaction: X(g)-->2Y(g). The koncentration of Y was measured after a minute and every minute consequentially in 23 minutes. The graph shows these concentrations:

The question is, calculate the reaction rate constant.

Now to do this, in my opinion and hunch, is we have to know the reaction order and to find it out I usually use a calculator to make a graph of the concentration vs. time, ln(concentration) vs. time and 1/(concentration) vs. time to see whether we deal with a 0, 1 or 2nd order reaction. But I can't seem to get equal amounts of points to make a graph, hence I am stuck :/.
    Would anyone please kindly help me with this question?
    Kinetic1.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2017 #2

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

@Beyar I do not think this is homework. Is that correct?

4. May 31, 2017 #3
    This is homework, indeed. I've been having issues with it for a while now and made several calculations and still get the wrong answer.

5. May 31, 2017 #4
    What do you mean by "can't get equal amount of points to make a graph"?

For what data are those relationships valid? Can you use them with your given [Y]-t data?

6. Jun 1, 2017 #5

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

These functions of concentration of what against time? X or Y? For your points after about 10 minutes you are so close to equilibrium or to zero [X] , i.e. essentially no reaction happening, that you cannot use them in your kinetics graphs - you cannot do kinetics where nothing is changing!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  7. Jun 1, 2017 #6
    Against the concentration of Y.

8. Jun 1, 2017 #7

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It makes more sense to use [X] though only for values that are significantly different from zero.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  9. Jun 1, 2017 #8
    Assume that the reaction is 1st order, and that the original concentration of Y is zero. What are the concentrations of X at the various times?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted