1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about studying statistical mechanics before or after MQ?

1. May 27, 2017 #1
    Hi
    i would like to understand if it is advisable to study statistical mechanics before of the MQ (with the classical stat. mec.), or after the MQ all together ??
    Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2017 #2
    What is MQ? Master's Qualifiers? Modern Quantum? What is your background?

4. May 31, 2017 #3
    Sorry, For MQ i mean QM. My Background is classical physics...

5. May 31, 2017 #4
    Oh ok! In statistical mechanics you will study both classical and quantum systems. You should be familiar with the particle in a box and harmonic oscillator problems. You also need to know what fermions and bosons are. Textbooks will usually bring these topics up I believe. This should be sufficient for studying out of a text aimed at undergraduate students. Are you self-studying or taking a course? If you are taking a course I would recommend asking the instructor or someone in your department who would be more familiar about the course.

6. May 31, 2017 #5
    For moment i self-study...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted