Question about studying statistical mechanics before or after MQ?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the best approach for studying statistical mechanics in relation to quantum mechanics. The person asking the question is seeking advice on whether to study statistical mechanics before or after studying quantum mechanics, and mentions their background in classical physics. The expert responds by stating that statistical mechanics covers both classical and quantum systems, and recommends being familiar with certain concepts before studying it, such as particle in a box and fermions/bosons. The expert also suggests seeking guidance from an instructor or department if taking a course, or self-studying if not.
Jianphys17
Hi
i would like to understand if it is advisable to study statistical mechanics before of the MQ (with the classical stat. mec.), or after the MQ all together ??
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
What is MQ? Master's Qualifiers? Modern Quantum? What is your background?

Sorry, For MQ i mean QM. My Background is classical physics...

Oh ok! In statistical mechanics you will study both classical and quantum systems. You should be familiar with the particle in a box and harmonic oscillator problems. You also need to know what fermions and bosons are. Textbooks will usually bring these topics up I believe. This should be sufficient for studying out of a text aimed at undergraduate students. Are you self-studying or taking a course? If you are taking a course I would recommend asking the instructor or someone in your department who would be more familiar about the course.

For moment i self-study...

1. When should I study statistical mechanics?

It is generally recommended to study statistical mechanics after completing a course in classical mechanics, as the concepts of statistical mechanics build upon those of classical mechanics. However, some students may find it beneficial to study both concurrently.

2. What is the difference between studying statistical mechanics before or after quantum mechanics?

Studying statistical mechanics before quantum mechanics allows for a better understanding of the classical foundations upon which quantum mechanics is built. Studying it after quantum mechanics allows for a deeper understanding of the statistical behavior of quantum systems.

3. Do I need a strong background in mathematics to study statistical mechanics?

A strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus and linear algebra, is necessary to fully understand the mathematical concepts in statistical mechanics. However, a basic understanding of these concepts is usually sufficient for introductory courses.

4. Can I study statistical mechanics without prior knowledge of thermodynamics?

While knowledge of thermodynamics is not a prerequisite for studying statistical mechanics, it can be helpful in understanding some of the concepts and equations used in statistical mechanics.

5. Is statistical mechanics a difficult subject to grasp?

Statistical mechanics can be a challenging subject, as it involves complex mathematical concepts and abstract theories. However, with dedication and practice, it can be understood by most students.