Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about the notation in Quantum Physics

1. Mar 17, 2008 #1
    Does the [tex]\langle \phi \rangle[/tex] means [tex] \langle0|\phi|0\rangle[/tex]?
    What does [tex]|\phi|[/tex] exactly mean?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2008 #2
    <B> means <y|B|y> where y is some given wavefunction.

I'd guess your other one should have a square in it in which case it would mean modulys squared or in other words the complex conjugate of phi times phi
  4. Mar 17, 2008 #3
    I think that probably all the notations you used mean different things:

1.|psi> is a ket that lives in a hilbert space, math speaking is a state vector wich belongs to a projective hilbert space, ie it is a ray.

2.If the hilbert space is separable, you get the complet. relation---> Sum|n><n|=1;
    u can have also generalized basis such as the deltas for x and plane waves for p, and the Sum become an integral.

3.a.You have also <x|x'>=delta(x-x')
    3.b. or for a separable basis <n|n'>=delta_nn' (the last delta is a kronecker one).

4.Importamt <x|psi>=psi(x) and it is a complex function psi:R^3----->C
    the wave function!

Now you can get the meaning of |psi|= the modulus of the wave function, while for the first notation <phi>=<0|phi|0> you have 2 choices i think:

a) it is a second quantization formalism, wich mean the vacuum expactation value of a field.

b)Or, if phi is an observable (P,H,L...), it can be the average over the ground state...

ususally when you start reading a book the conventions are displayed..

hope that helped..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?