Question about the wave function of a travelling wave

In summary, the conversation discusses the wave function of a traveling wave and its relationship to the oscillation of a particle. The wave function, u(x,t)=Acos[ω(t-x/v)+φ0], is derived by considering an initial condition and taking into account the velocity and phase of the wave. There is a question about the starting point of the particle's oscillation and whether there is a contradiction. It is clarified that the initial condition can be adjusted to start the wave from 0, and the type of wave discussed is a transverse wave, not a longitudinal one.
Jeremy1986
Hi guys,
Greetings!
I have a confusion about the wave function of a traveling wave. This is the wave function of a traveling wave traveling towards the positive direction of x axis

u(x,t)=Acos[ω(t-x/v)+φ0], where v is the velocity of the wave, ω is the angular velocity, φ0 is the initial phase.
Consider u as the displacement of a particle in y direction perpendicular to the x direction, that is, a longitudinal wave.
in the textbook, the above wave function is derived by first considering a particle oscillating at x=0 with an oscillation function u(0,t)=Acos(ωt+φ0). then when the oscilaltion spreads towards the positive x direction, it takes the oscillation x/v to arrive at x. then the oscillation at x is x/v left behind that of x=0, so we have ω(t-x/v)+φ0 the phase of the oscillation at x with respect to x=0.

my question is, for the oscillation of x at t=x/v (just at the time the wave arrived at x), according to the wave function, the displacement should be u(x,x/v)=Acos[φ0]. but since the wave has just been arrived, the starting point for the particle shold be its equilibrium point, with u(x,x/v)=0 in this case. So is there a contradiction? I have some thoughts about this, and i will post it in the next floor. I don't know whether it is right. would anyone please give me some instruction? Thanks a lot for your kind help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i think that maybe because the wave function u(x,t)=Acos[ω(t-x/v)+φ0] is the function of a wave that is steady in the space. so the derivation in the textbook gets the right wave function, but it is wrong to think like that.

The wave function you gave, u(x,t)=Acos[ω(t-x/v)+φ0], assumes that at t = 0, x = 0, the oscillation is Acos[φ0]. This is an initial condition, and it is in your hand. If you want the wave to start from 0, you just put φo = π/2.

Incidentally, A wave that oscillates along the y direction while traveling in the x direction is a transverse wave, not a longitudinal one.

Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/question-about-the-wave-function-of-a-travelling-wave.850689/

Chandra Prayaga said:
The wave function you gave, u(x,t)=Acos[ω(t-x/v)+φ0], assumes that at t = 0, x = 0, the oscillation is Acos[φ0]. This is an initial condition, and it is in your hand. If you want the wave to start from 0, you just put φo = π/2.

Incidentally, A wave that oscillates along the y direction while traveling in the x direction is a transverse wave, not a longitudinal one.

Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/question-about-the-wave-function-of-a-travelling-wave.850689/
Thanks Prayaga, it really helps!

1. What is a travelling wave?

A travelling wave is a type of wave in which the disturbance or oscillation travels through a medium without permanently displacing the medium itself. It is characterized by its amplitude, wavelength, and frequency.

2. Can you explain the concept of a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical representation of a wave that describes the amplitude of the wave at any given point in time and space. It is typically denoted by the Greek letter psi (ψ) and can be used to calculate various properties of the wave, such as its energy and momentum.

3. How is the wave function of a travelling wave different from a standing wave?

The wave function of a travelling wave is a function of both time and space, while the wave function of a standing wave is only a function of space. Additionally, a travelling wave moves through a medium, while a standing wave remains in one place.

4. What factors affect the shape of a travelling wave's wave function?

The shape of a travelling wave's wave function is affected by its amplitude, wavelength, and frequency. The type of medium through which the wave is travelling can also impact its shape.

5. Can you provide an example of a travelling wave in real life?

A common example of a travelling wave is a water wave, such as waves in the ocean or ripples in a pond. Sound waves and electromagnetic waves, such as light, are also examples of travelling waves.