1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about the wave function of a travelling wave

1. Jan 3, 2016 #1
    Hi guys,
    Greetings!
    I have a confusion about the wave function of a travelling wave. This is the wave function of a travelling wave travelling towards the positive direction of x axis

u(x,t)=Acos[ω(t-x/v)+φ0], where v is the velocity of the wave, ω is the angular velocity, φ0 is the initial phase.
    Consider u as the displacement of a particle in y direction perpendicular to the x direction, that is, a longitudinal wave.
    in the textbook, the above wave function is derived by first considering a particle oscillating at x=0 with an oscillation function u(0,t)=Acos(ωt+φ0). then when the oscilaltion spreads towards the positive x direction, it takes the oscillation x/v to arrive at x. then the oscillation at x is x/v left behind that of x=0, so we have ω(t-x/v)+φ0 the phase of the oscillation at x with respect to x=0.

my question is, for the oscillation of x at t=x/v (just at the time the wave arrived at x), according to the wave function, the displacement should be u(x,x/v)=Acos[φ0]. but since the wave has just been arrived, the starting point for the particle shold be its equilibrium point, with u(x,x/v)=0 in this case. So is there a contradiction? I have some thoughts about this, and i will post it in the next floor. I dont know whether it is right. would anyone please give me some instruction? Thanks a lot for your kind help!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2016 #2
    i think that maybe because the wave function u(x,t)=Acos[ω(t-x/v)+φ0] is the function of a wave that is steady in the space. so the derivation in the textbook gets the right wave function, but it is wrong to think like that.

4. Jan 4, 2016 #3
    The wave function you gave, u(x,t)=Acos[ω(t-x/v)+φ0], assumes that at t = 0, x = 0, the oscillation is Acos[φ0]. This is an initial condition, and it is in your hand. If you want the wave to start from 0, you just put φo = π/2.

Incidentally, A wave that oscillates along the y direction while traveling in the x direction is a transverse wave, not a longitudinal one.

Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/question-about-the-wave-function-of-a-travelling-wave.850689/

5. Jan 5, 2016 #4

Thanks Prayaga, it really helps!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook