1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Thermal Energy Transfer

1. Jul 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A silver block, initially at 58.5* C is submerged into 100.0 g of water at 24.8* C, in an insulated container. The final temperature of the mixture upon reaching thermal equilibrium is 26.2* C. What is the mass of the silver block?

2. Relevant equations

q = M x Cs x Δ T

1/M = Cs x ΔT/ q

3. The attempt at a solution

So I'm fairly sure this is right, but want to make sure I didn't get lucky. This question is pretty complex for my first one in the HW. So I decided that I'd rearrange the formula to find the heat and put the search for M. When I did this I found out I had all the variables for this except heat, so I calculated the heat of water with (100g x 4.18 x 1.4) then I plugged that into the equation 1/m = .235 SH x 32.3 *C/585.2 and when I got that answer I put it over one and came up with 77.5 grams of silver

Thoughts? Easier way to do it?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2013 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

looks good. I get the same answer (well, maybe with a small error due to calculation, I got 77.1, but it's pretty close to yours). And I can't think of any easier way to do it. I think you have done it the way that they expect you to. Nice work, man.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted