Question about torque and ladders.

• Thread starter Mr. Snookums
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, when determining the torque on a ladder leaning against a frictionless wall, we use horizontal distance components for the weight forces and vertical distance components for the wall force. This is due to the perpendicular distances needed to find the torque, which are horizontal for vertical forces and vertical for horizontal forces. This can also be explained by the angles of the right triangle formed by the ladder, where the sine and cosine of complementary angles are equivalent. The use of both vertical and horizontal components in the same torque equation is necessary because the forces due to gravity act vertically while the wall force acts horizontally.
Mr. Snookums
A ladder is against a frictionless wall, elevated at angle theta above the ground.

I have a question about distance components. We find the torque pushing the ladder to the ground by using horizontal distance components: the distances of the weights acting on the ladder multiplied each by cosine of theta. What is strange is that we use a vertical distance component when finding the force exerted by the wall onto the ladder: distance from the ground to where the ladder touches the wall multiplied by sine of theta.

Why don't we use cosine as we did for the others?

Sorry if I am unclear, I really don't know how to put it another way.

Physics news on Phys.org
In each case you need to find the perpendicular distance from the axis to the line of the force. For vertical forces, the perpendicular distances are horizontal. To find the horizontal component of a distance along the ladder, cosine is used. But for horizontal forces, the perpendicular distances are vertical--that requires the sine.

Another way to think of it is to examine the angles of the right triangle formed by the ladder. Realize that if two angles (theta1 & theta2) add up to 90 degrees, then sin(theta1) = cos(theta2). (And vice versa.)

I understand that, but why would we use both vertical and horizontal components in the same torque equation?

Because the forces due to gravity act vertically, while the wall force acts horizontally.

Why don't you tell me the definition of torque that your book uses. (There are several equivalent definitions of torque.)

1. What is torque and how does it relate to ladders?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In the case of ladders, torque is important because it determines how much force is needed to lift or move the ladder, as well as how stable the ladder will be once in place.

2. How does the weight of the ladder affect its torque?

The weight of the ladder affects its torque by increasing the force needed to lift or move the ladder. The heavier the ladder, the greater the torque required to move it. This is why it is important to use ladders that are appropriate for your intended use.

3. Can the angle of the ladder affect its torque?

Yes, the angle of the ladder can affect its torque. The angle at which the ladder is placed will determine how much force is needed to lift or move the ladder. A steeper angle will require more torque to move the ladder compared to a shallower angle.

4. How can I calculate the torque of a ladder?

To calculate the torque of a ladder, you will need to know the weight of the ladder, the distance from the center of the ladder to the point of rotation, and the angle at which the ladder is placed. Once you have this information, you can use the formula: Torque = Force x Distance x sin(angle).

5. What are some safety precautions to consider when using a ladder?

Some safety precautions to consider when using a ladder include making sure the ladder is on a stable and level surface, not exceeding the weight limit of the ladder, and always maintaining three points of contact while climbing (two hands and one foot, or two feet and one hand). It is also important to inspect the ladder for any damage before use and to use proper ladder safety techniques at all times.