Question about total vector displacement, BUGGING ME OUT

In summary, the problem involves driving south at 20.0 m/s for 3 minutes, turning west and traveling at 25 m/s for 2 minutes, and finally traveling northwest at 30.0 m/s for 1.00 minute. The total vector displacement can be found by converting minutes to seconds and adding the respective position vectors. However, it is important to note that the unit vectors need to be sorted out. In order to find the average speed, the total distance traveled must be divided by the total time. This may be different from the average velocity, which is the magnitude of the average velocity vector, found by taking the displacement and dividing it by the total time.
HelpMeWIN123
If I were to drive south at 20.0 m/s for 3 min, then turn west and travel at 25 m/s for 2 min, and finally travel northwest at 30.0 m/s for 1.00 min. what would my total vector displacement be?

I start out by converting minutes to seconds, so I have position vectors; 1800m to south, 3600m west, and 1800m NorthWest. Then using the respective vector units, I add them up, and square each component, and take the square root. I keep getting a different answer, please help.

Displacement Vector = Sqrt ( (3600 +1800cos45 + 0)i ^2 + ((1800sin45 +3000)^2 j))

Am i on the wrong track here, this is REALLY bugging me out!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF,
HelpMeWIN123 said:
Displacement Vector = Sqrt ( (3600 +1800cos45 + 0)i ^2 + ((1800sin45 +3000)^2 j))
You need to sort your unit vectors out. Here you have north & south and east & west as the same direction.

Usually, i would be directed from west to east and j would be directed from south to north.

How would I go about finding the average speed? I figured out that average speed is the magnitude of the average velocity vector = Delta (R)/Delta(T), so How does that apply to this problem?

bummp, anyone?

HelpMeWIN123 said:
How would I go about finding the average speed? I figured out that average speed is the magnitude of the average velocity vector = Delta (R)/Delta(T), so How does that apply to this problem?

Average speed is total distance/time. Not always the same as average velocity.

1. What is total vector displacement?

Total vector displacement is the overall change in position of an object, taking into account both magnitude and direction.

2. How is total vector displacement calculated?

Total vector displacement is calculated by finding the sum of all individual vector displacements. This can be done graphically or mathematically using trigonometry.

3. What is the difference between total vector displacement and distance traveled?

Total vector displacement takes into account the direction of movement, while distance traveled only considers the length of the path taken. This means that total vector displacement can be zero if the object ends up at its starting point, while distance traveled will always be a positive value.

4. Why is total vector displacement important in physics?

Total vector displacement is important in physics because it accurately describes the motion of an object, taking into account both magnitude and direction. This is crucial in understanding concepts such as velocity, acceleration, and force.

5. How can total vector displacement be applied in real life?

Total vector displacement can be applied in various fields such as navigation, engineering, and sports. For example, GPS systems use total vector displacement to accurately track the position of a vehicle, and architects use it to calculate the displacement of a structure due to wind or earthquake forces.