Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about vacuum and vacuum meter

1. Jul 27, 2007 #1
    I wonder why vacuum is sometimes measured in range from 0 to -1 bar. Is it because of it's measured relatively to normal atmospheric pressure?
    I guess that normally, vacuum shoud be in range of 0 to 1 bar or something?
    Can you help me understaning what terms "underpressure" and "overpressure" really means?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2007 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, there is PSIG, or gauge pressure [or vacuum], and PSIA, or absolute pressure. Gauge pressure uses normal atmospheric pressure as zero. Absolute pressure is gauge pressure minus 1 bar. A measure of 0 PSIA [absolute] would be a complete vacuum.

Since you are starting with a gauge pressure of zero, which means that we are starting with atmospheric pressure [ 1 bar] as zero, anything lower than this would be negative, which is a vacuum.

Underpressure and Overpressure mean just what they say. If you have a system that operates between 1 and 2 bars, and you measure it operating at 3 bars, it would be 1 bar overpressure. If you measured it operating at 0.5 bars, it would be 0.5 bars underpressure.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?