Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about velocity and motors

1. Aug 18, 2010 #1
    I'm working on choosing an appropriate motor. I have the calculations I need for the required torque, power, max velocity, force, and acceleration. Now I need to know the maximum velocity that a specific motor can move 159 kg 0.45 m across a horizontal plane.

In all of my calculations for which motor was needed, I neglected to take friction and inertia into consideration because I did not need to be so exact. The friction is quite minimal anyway. It is a seat moving along a metal rail.

The motor specs are as follows:

Torque - 0.304 Nm
    Speed - 4000 RPM
    Power - 0.13 kW
    Gearing - 60:1 (15*4)
    Inertia - .031 kg-cm^2

I don't yet know what the radius of the gear attached to the gearbox will be. I imagine something like 5 cm. I was told that the equation would involve something like (2pi*r(RPM))/15, but I don't know how that will work in with the power, mass, and distance when calculating the max velocity.

I was thinking if using 1/2*130*0.45 would be possible to use for the kinetic energy and then solve for v with 29.25=1/2*159*v^2. But again, I'm not sure how to work in the Speed and gearing of the motor.

I appreciate the help. If I'm missing any info, let me know.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2010 #2
    Does anyone at least have some tips or ideas?

Thanks

4. Aug 20, 2010 #3
    Update:

Gearbox is 15:1. Pulleys are 1:1.
    Radius of pulley is 1"

The pulley's RPM speed is (circumference*RPM)/gearing, right? In other words, (2pi*4000)/15=1676 RPM. The torque would then be 0.304*15=4.56 Nm.

So then how do I get the maximum velocity of the 159 kg along 0.45 m that this setup can provide?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  5. Aug 20, 2010 #4
    Hi FES, if this is your homework, it should go to the homework section.

Add a sketch or drawing if possible.

Think different, if you had to lift the same mass 0.45m in the vertical plane, frictionless and disregarding inertia, how would you solve the problem ? What would be the acceleration and kinetic energy ? And the maximum vertical speed ?

Now turn back to the horizontal plane and consider friction and inertia, what top speed would be attainable considering also the transmission efficiency?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  6. Aug 21, 2010 #5
    Hi John,

Thank you for your response. No, this is not homework, this is real-world for my job. I simply am unfamiliar with working with motors and have not done physics in several years, so I am having a mental block. Unfortunately, I cannot disclose this device, but think of those Concept 2 rowers you would find in a gym.

I am running out of time. The motor guy will be in on Monday and I must have a spreadsheet complete with this same calculation for every motor in a certain class by then for my CEO.

Ergo, if you wouldn't mind feeding me a bit more than a crumb, I'd greatly appreciate it. I am thinking what I need to do is use Force=torque/radius and find the acceleration from there with F/m.

4.56 Nm/.0254 m=179.53 N
    179.53 N/159 kg=1.13 m/s

1.13*0.45 m=0.51 s

Do the RPMs still need to factor in somewhere?

Thank you.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  7. Aug 21, 2010 #6
    It looks like this is a gear\rack mechanism, a very simplified approach will be:

Considering the mass path is perfectly horizontal, negligible rotational inertia, no friction, starting at max power and max rpm...

Fmax = Tin x i x n / r

F -> Max Traction Force [N]
    Tin -> Motor Input Torque [N.m]
    i -> Gear ratio
    n -> Efficiency
    r -> Gear Radius [m]

amax = Fmax / m

amax -> Max Acceleration [m/s²]
    m -> Mass

converting rpm -> rad/s => 1 RPM = 2*PI / 60s

w2 = w1 / i

w2 -> Gear speed [rad/s]
    w1 -> Motor speed [rad/s]

vmax -> w2 x r

vmax -> Maximum Travelling Speed [m/s]

tmin = (2 x d / amax)^0.5

tmin -> Minimum Acceleration Time
    d -> Travelling Distance [m]

P = Fmax x vmax / n

P -> Power [W]

8. Aug 23, 2010 #7
    I typed up a lengthy reply that failed to post and is now lost, so all I will say is thank you for all of your assistance, John. I'm grateful!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook