Question concerning probablity

• Thread starter Mins
  • Start date
In summary, the probability of two same numbers being right next to each other when 100 random numbers chosen from '1,2,3... 6' form a line is 100%. This can be seen by considering smaller cases and using the formula 1-S, where S is the probability of success (at least two in a row are the same). To calculate the probability of 'n' pairs of same numbers being right next to each other, more information and examples are needed.
Mins
How can I calculate the probablity of 2 same numbers being right next to each other, when 100 random numbers chosen from '1,2,3... 6' form a line?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
That's pretty well certain. To five decimal places, S = 100%.

To see why, and to get a more precise answer:
Let S denote a success, that is at least two in a row are the same. Consider instead the smaller problem with only two such dice in a row:

(1-6)(1-6)

S is just the chance that the two are the same, which is 6/36 = 1/6.

For three dice:

(1-6)(1-6)(1-6)

The middle die has a 1/6 chance of being the same as the one before it, and the last die has a 1/6 chance of being like the die before it. That's 1/6 + 1/6, except that now you're double counting when all three are the same, so it's 1/6 + 1/6 - 1/36.

This is easier if you calculate 1-S, which is 5/6 with two dice and (5/6)^2 for three dice.

Thanks. Another question

CRGreathouse said:
This is easier if you calculate 1-S, which is 5/6 with two dice and (5/6)^2 for three dice.

How can you calculate the probability of 'n' pairs of same numbers being right next to each other?

Mins said:
How can you calculate the probability of 'n' pairs of same numbers being right next to each other?

I'm not sure what you mean, give an example.

CRGreathouse said:
I'm not sure what you mean, give an example.

10 numbers will be chosen from 1,2,3...6, and they will form a line, like this

There are 2 pairs of sets, as underlined above.

What I want to find out is the probability of not just only one, but 2 or more sets(2 same numbers being right next to each other) appearing in a line.

Last edited:
Mins said:
What I want to find out is the probability of not just only one, but 2 or more sets(2 same numbers being right next to each other) appearing in a line.

Does 1112345 count as having two "sets"? Does 1111234?

Does 1112345 count as having two "sets"? Does 1111234?
First one has one "set"(I defined the word, think you should know).
And second one has two "sets".
But if ruling those out simiplify your calculation, think it's OK.

What I want is a method to calculate those :

two sets appearing in a line of 50 numbers
three sets appearing in a line of 50 numbers
four sets appearing in a line of 50 numbers
etc.

But a solution that can be used in similar situations will help me.

Last edited:

What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is represented as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

How do you calculate probability?

To calculate probability, you divide the number of desired outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This is called the probability formula: P(event) = number of desired outcomes / total number of possible outcomes.

What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual data and is calculated by conducting experiments or collecting observations.

What is the Law of Large Numbers?

The Law of Large Numbers states that as the number of trials or experiments increases, the experimental probability of an event will approach the theoretical probability. In other words, the more data we collect, the closer our results will be to the expected outcome.

How is probability used in real life?

Probability is used in many real-life situations, such as predicting weather patterns, determining the likelihood of winning a game, and making financial decisions. It is also used in fields like medicine, economics, and engineering to analyze data and make informed decisions.