If the OP is still listening I have something to share/warn. When/if driving within towns, even small or medium towns, such as Lucca, there are many special restrictions on travel, such as apparently car - worthy streets that are nonetheless restricted to only pedestrians, marked of course only by signs in Italian, or loops in a city street that must not be traversed, or parking spaces that must not be used, except perhaps by those with special permits. Any violation is often met with a ticket issued automatically by a remote camera. Then several months after arriving home, one receives a citation or a warning of an impending citation, again only in Italian, and a referral to a website where one may be able to pay the fine, also written only in Italian.
In my case I received two such tickets, several months apart, for offenses I did not realize I had committed, and the initial warning letter only said to await an actual ticket. The ticket was then issued months later, after the amount of the fine had increased some 25-50%. I paid a total of some $360 for the two mystery violations. When I tried to consult my Italian host for possible assistance, before telling her my problem she first announced to me breathlessly, "Guess what happened to me! I was driving in Lucca when I got these incredible tickets, one for entering the wrong way and then another for exiting!" So I didn't bother to ask her help.
Bottom line; if visiting say Lucca, or really any touristic town, park outside the city and walk, only walk, within its walls. Camera issued speed tickets also probably exist on highways. Oh yes, car rental fees are much, much higher in Italy, since generous crash coverage is automatically included and your own insurance is worthless there. I think we paid something like $1500 a week ? in 2012, but we got a good car (an audi A4) and had a really good time. When visiting Rome I never used a car.