Question: How do I say out loud the Callan-Symanzik Equation

• MHB
  • Thread starter 1equals1
  • Start date
In summary, the Callan-Symanzik Equation is a mathematical equation that deals with correlation and function values. It is pronounced by saying the letters in order, with a hard "g" at the end.
1equals1
I'm looking for someone really clever to be able to tell me how to pronounce this equation if I were to say it out loud. I'm not particularly clued up when it comes to maths. (barely scraped a C in my GCSE) But I am definitely interested in its infinite (I'm sure someone will tell me about all the different infinities there are) capacity to explain all sorts of otherwise unexplainable things. Some help here would be greatly appreciated. (also I didn't know where to put this post, so I just went with other. Sorry if that was wrong) I don't exactly know how to type all of the characters in the right format, and I don't appear to be able to upload a picture of it, but it's called the Callan-Symanzik Equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Callan-Symanzik Equation (as given by Wikipedia):

$$\left[M\dfrac{\partial}{\partial M}+\beta(g)\dfrac{\partial}{\partial g}+n\gamma\right]G^{(n)}(x_1,x_2,\dots,x_n;M,g)=0$$

Thank you for typing it on here. I'm still not quite sure how to pronounce any of these symbols in English?

greg1313 said:
Callan-Symanzik Equation (as given by Wikipedia):

$$\left[M\dfrac{\partial}{\partial M}+\beta(g)\dfrac{\partial}{\partial g}+n\gamma\right]G^{(n)}(x_1,x_2,\dots,x_n;M,g)=0$$

1equals1 said:
Thank you for typing it on here. I'm still not quite sure how to pronounce any of these symbols in English?

Hi 1equals1! Welcome to MHB! ;)$M$ is pronounced as /em/. :p
$\dfrac{\partial}{\partial M}$ is pronounced as /the partial derivative with respect to M/.
$\beta(g)$ is pronounced as /the beta function of g/.
$\gamma$ is pronounced as /gamma/.
$G^{(n)}(x_1,x_2,\dots,x_n;M,g)$ is pronouned as /the n-point correlation function G of $x_1$ up to $x_n$ with parameters M and g/.I don't know how one pronounces $Callan-Symanzik$.
Perhaps someone who is Russian or Polish or some such would know. :p

1. How do I pronounce "Callan-Symanzik Equation"?

The correct pronunciation is "KAH-luhn SIM-uhn-zik ih-KWAY-zhuhn".

2. What does the Callan-Symanzik Equation represent?

The equation is a fundamental formula in quantum field theory that describes the behavior of a physical system as it undergoes a change in scale.

3. Who developed the Callan-Symanzik Equation?

The equation was independently developed by physicists Kenneth Callan and Kurt Symanzik in the 1970s.

4. Is there a simplified version of the Callan-Symanzik Equation?

Yes, there is a simplified version known as the "beta function" that is commonly used in calculations.

5. How is the Callan-Symanzik Equation used in scientific research?

The equation is used to study the behavior of physical systems at different scales, and has applications in fields such as particle physics, condensed matter physics, and cosmology.