1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question involving velocities and distance

1. Mar 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two soccer players, Mary and Jane, begin running from nearly the same point. Mary runs in an easterly direction at 4 m/s, while Jane takes off in a direction 60 degrees north of east at 5.4 m/s. (a) How long before they are 25 m apart? (b) What is the velocity of Jane relative to Mary? (c) How far apart are they after 4 s?

2. Relevant equations
    D=v/t
    Yf=Yi+(Vy)iT+1/2at^2
    Xf=Xi+(Vx)iT

3. The attempt at a solution
    T must be the same value in both equations, but I do not know how to convert velocity vectors with a 60 degree separation into distance to solve the problem. I have a test tomorrow and your input would be much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi drummerdimitr! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Hint: If you can answer (b) first, then (a) should be easy. :wink:

4. Mar 28, 2010 #3
    Thanks for the quick reply, I found the answer to part c by multiplying the velocities by 4 and finding the length of the third side. I tried doing vector addition and ended up with a relative velocity of 8.17 m/s at 34.9 degrees north degrees, but unfortunately, it is not the right answer. What am i doing wrong here?

5. Mar 29, 2010 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(just got up :zzz: …)
    ahh … for relative velocities, try vector subtraction! :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook