Finding Gravitational Acceleration

In summary, you need to use [ latex ] for LaTeX documents, [ LATEX ] for LaTeX documents with math equations, and [ tex ] for anything else.
Martyn59
Hi if I understand it correctly, this is the process to find freefall acceleration of a falling body.

S=ut+1/2at^2 Initial time and displacement is zero so,
S=1/2at^2 find acceleration
a=2(S/t^2)
graph for change in displacement over time squared
a= 2(yf-yi/xf-xi) (f=final i= initial)

I almost understand why that works,

But I thought that acceleration was found by change in velocity over change in time. a=v-u/t
But when I use this formula on the data from my experiments I get a wrong answer.any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Martyn59 said:
Hi if I understand it correctly, this is the process to find freefall acceleration of a falling body.

S=ut+1/2at^2 Initial time and displacement is zero so,
S=1/2at^2 find acceleration
a=2(S/t^2)
graph for change in displacement over time squared
a= 2(yf-yi/xf-xi) (f=final i= initial)

I almost understand why that works,

But I thought that acceleration was found by change in velocity over change in time. a=v-u/t
But when I use this formula on the data from my experiments I get a wrong answer.any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
That formula should work - but only if the object starts at rest. I expect you meant $$a = 2\frac{y_f - y_i}{(t_f - t_i)^2}$$

Likes Martyn59
Martyn59 said:
But when I use this formula on the data from my experiments I get a wrong answer.
This will give you the average acceleration. Since the acceleration is constant the average acceleration is the same as the acceleration. This formula is correct, but your measurements above are measuring position, not velocity. So although the forumla is correct, it is not particularly relevant or helpful in this situation.

Likes Martyn59
If you have a collection of positions ##y_i## and associated times ##t_i## for an object moving under constant acceleration, you are correct in saying that the equation ##y_i=v_0 t_i -\frac{1}{2}gt^2## is the one to use. You do not explain the procedure you used, specifically whether (a) the object was released from rest many times and you measured its time of flight ##t_i## for varying heights ##h_i## or (b) you released the object once and you measured the times ##t_i## it took to reach a known distance ##y_i##. In either case, the appropriate method for analyzing the data is to take the ratio ##y_i/t_i## and make a plot of this on the ordinate (vertical axis) versus ##t_i## on the abscissa (horizontal axis). The result should be a straight line of the form ##Y=mX+b##. I leave it up to you to figure out the significance of the slope ##m## (it's not the mass) and the intercept ##b##.

@Dale

are you sure that g is constant? What if , for example, a geostationary satellite stops its revolution around the Earth, and falls radially, in an adeguate reference frame?
Or the Earth falls radially towards the Sun? It takes around 64 days for the Earth to reach our star in free fall: apply conservation of energy and Kepler.
For a geostationary satellite, the distance from the centre of the Earth is about R S = 42371 km; applying the Newton law for universal gravitation, and assuming gT = 9.81 m/s2 ( on the Earth surface, RT= 6371 km) you have that:

gS/gT = (RT/RS)2 = 0.0226

that means : gS = 0.2218 m/s2

this is the value of the acceleration of gravity at a distance from Earth equal to the orbital radius of the geostationary satellite. The free fall takes place with an increasing acceleration, isn’t a uniformly accelerated motion.the value of gS can be also evaluated from the value of its speed and the orbital radius , because :

v = √(gSRS)

this formula can be found equating the centripetal force to the gravitational force, and doesn’t depend on the mass of the satellite ; so :

v2/RS = gS

the speed is easily calculated knowing that the satellite is geostationary.

sorry, I’m not able to use Latex.

Last edited:
italicus said:
are you sure that g is constant? What if , for example, a geostationary satellite stops its revolution around the Earth, and falls radially, in an adeguate reference frame?
Most likely he is doing table-top experiments in his lab, so assuming a constant value for "g" is probably fine:
Martyn59 said:
But when I use this formula on the data from my experiments I get a wrong answer.

And there is an easy fix for this:
italicus said:
sorry, I’m not able to use Latex.
Just click on the "LaTeX Guide" link below the Edit window to learn the basics. :wink:

Likes PeroK and kuruman
berkeman said:
Just click on the "LaTeX Guide" link below the Edit window to learn the basics. :wink:
You know what drives me crazy about these guides?

They never ever say what the tags are to bracket latex (since that's site specific).

Is it [ latex ]? [ LATEX ]? [ tex ]? [ TEX ]? < TEX >, etc.?

This trips me up every time and is by far the most common reason why I fail to use latex. (It's different on every site, so it's not like once I figure it out I'll never forget).

DaveC426913 said:
You know what drives me crazy about these guides?

They never ever say what the tags are to bracket latex (since that's site specific).

Is it [ latex ]? [ LATEX ]? [ tex ]? [ TEX ]? < TEX >, etc.?

This trips me up every time and is by far the most common reason why I fail to use latex. (It's different on every site, so it's not like once I figure it out I'll never forget).
Well, at least at PF it is straightforward (I agree that it seems different on different websites):

1633972001408.png

italicus said:
are you sure that g is constant?
Given the formulas that the OP is using and the level of their post I assumed that they are a student doing exercises for a for a class in an introductory physics class, not a NASA scientist working on satellite deorbiting maneuvers. This is indeed an assumption on my part, but unless the OP clarifies otherwise it seems a safe assumption.

• Haha
Likes jbriggs444, Nugatory, berkeman and 1 other person
Dale said:
Given the formulas that the OP is using and the level of their post I assumed that they are a student doing exercises for a for a class in an introductory physics class, not a NASA scientist working on satellite deorbiting maneuvers. This is indeed an assumption on my part, but unless the OP clarifies otherwise it seems a safe assumption.
How exaggerate are you! NASA scientists, for a simple deduction of g being variable , from a great distance toward the Earth? You want to joke! We are not talking of Hohmann orbit transfer!

Anyway, in an Earth limited laboratory of height H, assuming g = constant is fine, in Newtonian mechanics.

Last edited:
Dale said:
I started adding my own reply to the above, but then I thought to myself that this thread does not need another tangential post. Perhaps the mentors following this thread might consider instituting some kind of guideline that limits the number of non-OP posts before the OP has had a chance to reply. This would be only appropriate to homework help threads which this one appears to be. Too many helpers often spoil the thread in the sense that the OP loses sight of the goal.

I do not wish to start another tangent within this thread. If my suggestion merits further discussion, @berkeman and/or @Dale please let me know. In that case, this post will self-destruct and a new thread will start in Advisor Lounge.

Likes Dale
PeroK said:
That formula should work - but only if the object starts at rest. I expect you meant $$a = 2\frac{y_f - y_i}{(t_f - t_i)^2}$$
Yes, darn it, when I wrote it out I forgot to square the time on the x axis.

I've been giving this some thought
I think I've figured out why the other formula doesn't work. (change in velocity over change in time)
I was dropping a weight from 1900mm and getting 59 hundredths of a second and calling that 3.22 m/s
dropping it again from 500mm and getting 30 hundredths of a second and calling that 5.6m/s
a= v-u/▲t so a=3.22-1.67/.29 so a=5.34 m/s obviously wrong. I figure the problem is that what I'm calling initial velocity, and final velocity are actually periods of acceleration.

so I have to use the other one.. ( s=ut+1/2at^2)
When I use that formula I get an answer which is close. but not right.
I've read that when doing the experiment (measuring elapsed time of a falling mass) I should do multiple drops and use the shortest time obtained for each height. I can see the reason for that. so i'll redo the experiment and hopefully I'll get closer to 9.8m/s^2

Getting the right answer is important, but I also really want to properly understand why the math works.
Thanks for your help I appreciate it.

Dale said:
This will give you the average acceleration. Since the acceleration is constant the average acceleration is the same as the acceleration. This formula is correct, but your measurements above are measuring position, not velocity. So although the forumla is correct, it is not particularly relevant or helpful in this situation.
Thank you, yes, I've been thinking a bit more deeply about the whole thing, and I see that now. Thanks for your help.

Likes Dale
kuruman said:
If you have a collection of positions ##y_i## and associated times ##t_i## for an object moving under constant acceleration, you are correct in saying that the equation ##y_i=v_0 t_i -\frac{1}{2}gt^2## is the one to use. You do not explain the procedure you used, specifically whether (a) the object was released from rest many times and you measured its time of flight ##t_i## for varying heights ##h_i## or (b) you released the object once and you measured the times ##t_i## it took to reach a known distance ##y_i##. In either case, the appropriate method for analyzing the data is to take the ratio ##y_i/t_i## and make a plot of this on the ordinate (vertical axis) versus ##t_i## on the abscissa (horizontal axis). The result should be a straight line of the form ##Y=mX+b##. I leave it up to you to figure out the significance of the slope ##m## (it's not the mass) and the intercept ##b##.
Okay, I think I've almost got this M= change in height over change in time squared. No idea about intercept b though. I'll look it up. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

1. What is gravitational acceleration?

Gravitational acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object due to the force of gravity. It is a measure of how quickly an object falls towards the center of the Earth.

2. How is gravitational acceleration calculated?

Gravitational acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = GM/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger object, and r is the distance between the two objects.

3. What is the value of gravitational acceleration on Earth?

The value of gravitational acceleration on Earth is approximately 9.8 m/s^2. However, this value can vary slightly depending on location and altitude.

4. How does gravitational acceleration affect objects of different masses?

Gravitational acceleration affects all objects equally, regardless of their mass. This means that all objects will fall towards the Earth at the same rate, neglecting air resistance.

5. How does gravitational acceleration differ on other planets?

Gravitational acceleration on other planets can vary significantly from Earth, as it is dependent on the mass and radius of the planet. For example, on Mars, the gravitational acceleration is approximately 3.7 m/s^2, while on Jupiter it is 24.8 m/s^2.