1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on circular motion, finding out the angular displacement in a clock.

1. Jul 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A clock is showing 3.30. Calculate the angular displacement in degrees from the 12.00 position of the clock to:
    i the minute hand
    ii the hour hand

I got my minute answer as 180 degree, which is right. But my second answer was 90 degrees, which apparently is wrong! the answer theyr giving is 105 degrees!! how come? even just looking at the hour hand, we can see that the angular displacement should be 90 degrees!! they did something like 3.5/12 X 360 degrees.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2012 #2
    When the clock reads 3:30, is the hour hand pointing directly at 3 or is it somewhere between 3 and 4?

4. Jul 3, 2012 #3
    holy crap, u are right. Its btween 3 and 4.....I totally overlooked that!

5. Jul 3, 2012 #4
    It's a bit of a trick question. My first reaction was that the answer is wrong until I thought about it for a few seconds.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook