Question on circular motion, finding out the angular displacement in a clock.

In summary, the angular displacement in degrees from the 12.00 position of the clock to the minute hand is 180 degrees. However, the correct angular displacement for the hour hand is not 90 degrees as expected, but rather 105 degrees due to the fact that the hour hand is between the 3 and 4 when the clock reads 3:30. This can be calculated using the formula 3.5/12 x 360 degrees.
mutineer123

Homework Statement

A clock is showing 3.30. Calculate the angular displacement in degrees from the 12.00 position of the clock to:
i the minute hand
ii the hour hand

I got my minute answer as 180 degree, which is right. But my second answer was 90 degrees, which apparently is wrong! the answer theyr giving is 105 degrees! how come? even just looking at the hour hand, we can see that the angular displacement should be 90 degrees! they did something like 3.5/12 X 360 degrees.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
When the clock reads 3:30, is the hour hand pointing directly at 3 or is it somewhere between 3 and 4?

Jimmy said:
When the clock reads 3:30, is the hour hand pointing directly at 3 or is it somewhere between 3 and 4?

holy crap, u are right. Its btween 3 and 4...I totally overlooked that!

It's a bit of a trick question. My first reaction was that the answer is wrong until I thought about it for a few seconds.

The angular displacement of the hour hand can be calculated by taking the fraction of time passed in hours (3.5/12) and multiplying it by the total degrees in a full circle (360 degrees). This gives us 105 degrees, which is the correct answer.

The reason for this is that the hour hand moves at a slower rate than the minute hand. In order to reach the 3.30 position, the hour hand has to travel 3.5 hours (since it is closer to the 4 o'clock mark than the 3 o'clock mark). This means that the hour hand has moved more than just 90 degrees from the 12.00 position.

To better understand this, imagine if the clock only had an hour hand and the time was 3.30. In this case, the hour hand would be pointed directly at the 3 o'clock mark, indicating an angular displacement of 90 degrees from the 12.00 position. However, since there is also a minute hand on the clock, the hour hand has to move further to reach the 3.30 position, resulting in an angular displacement of 105 degrees.

It is important to consider the difference in rates at which the hour hand and minute hand move when calculating angular displacement in a clock. This is because the minute hand moves at a constant rate of 6 degrees per minute, while the hour hand moves at a rate of 30 degrees per hour. Therefore, the angular displacement of the hour hand will always be larger than that of the minute hand when measuring from the 12.00 position.

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, where the distance from the center of the circle remains constant.

2. How is angular displacement measured?

Angular displacement is measured in radians or degrees and represents the change in the object's orientation or position along the circular path.

3. How do you calculate angular displacement in a clock?

To calculate angular displacement in a clock, you would need to know the initial and final positions of the clock hand, as well as the number of divisions on the clock face. The formula is angular displacement = (final position - initial position) x (360/number of divisions).

4. What factors affect angular displacement in circular motion?

The speed of the object and the radius of the circular path are the main factors that affect angular displacement in circular motion. The faster the object moves and the larger the radius, the greater the angular displacement will be.

5. How is angular displacement related to linear displacement?

Angular displacement and linear displacement are related by the equation s = rθ, where s is the linear displacement, r is the radius of the circular path, and θ is the angular displacement in radians.