Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on Pearson's Chi-squared test

1. Feb 3, 2014 #1
    Hello,

I was trying to interpret the formula of Pearson's Chi-squared test:
    [tex]\chi^2 = \sum_{i=1}^{n} \frac{(O_i - E_i)^2}{E_i}[/tex]

I thought that if we assume that each [itex]O_i[/itex] is an observation of the random variable [itex]X_i[/itex], then the above formula essentially considers the sum-of-squares of n standardized random variables [itex]Y_i=\frac{X_i-\mu_i}{\sigma_i}[/itex]. In fact, if such random variables are [itex]Y_i \sim N(0,1)[/itex], then the random variable [itex]S = \sum_{i=1}^n Y_i^2[/itex] follows a [itex]\chi^2[/itex]-distribution. Thus, the formula of the Chi-squared test would essentially evaluate the probability [itex]\mathrm{P}\left( S = \chi^2 \right)[/itex], and of course compare it to some chosen P-value.

My question is about the standardization of the random variables [itex]X_i[/itex].
    If my interpretation above is correct, then Pearson's Chi-squared test somehow assumes that each random variable [itex]X_i[/itex] has variance equal to its expected value, that is: [tex]\sigma_i^2 = \mu_i[/tex]

Why so?
    Can anybody explain why we would need to assume that variance and expected values are numerically equal? That condition is satisfied only for some distributions like Poisson and Gamma (with [itex]\theta=1)[/itex]. Why such a restriction?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2014 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

The [itex] O_i [/itex] are supposed to be a count of how many observations of a random variable fall within a "cell". How are you are defining the [itex] i[/itex]th cell?

4. Feb 4, 2014 #3
    I see! That is an important observation. It probably means that the random variables [itex] X_i [/itex] are supposed to follow a multinomial distribution.

For instance, if we have only one cell, then [itex]X_1[/itex] could be the amount of successes out of [itex]m[/itex] independent trials of some experiment. Thus, [itex] X_1 [/itex] would follow a binomial distribution, which in fact approaches a Poisson distribution for [itex]m[/itex] large, and which has [itex]\sigma^2=\mu=\lambda[/itex].

If the above reasoning is correct, then Pearson's Chi-squared test should work only when the number of trials is sufficiently large.

5. Feb 4, 2014 #4

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

I'm not sure what you mean by that statement.

The test can be applied to repeated independent samples of a single random variable. The single random variable can have any distribution. It is only necessary to define the cells so that they partition the range of the random variable.

6. Feb 4, 2014 #5
    Hi Stephen, and thanks for your help!

What I meant, is that [itex]X_i[/itex] is a random variable that "counts" the number of observations that happened to fall into the i-th cell. For instance, if we consider a continuous random variable Z having some unknown probability density function, and we partition the real line into two cells corresponding to the events: [itex]Z\geq 10[/itex] (=success) and [itex]Z< 10[/itex] (=failure), then the two events will have probabilities p and (1-p).

We can sample the random variable Z many times, say n times.
    Now, [itex]X_1[/itex] is the random variable that keeps the total counts of successes, thus [itex]X_1[/itex] follows a binomial distribution, i.e. [itex]X_1\sim B(n,p)[/itex].

I thought that if we extend this reasoning to [itex]k[/itex] cells, then the vector of random variables [itex](X_1,\ldots,X_k)[/itex] should follow a multinomial distribution, i.e. [itex](X_1,\ldots,X_k) \sim M(n;p_1,\ldots,p_k)[/itex].

Or am I misunderstanding something?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook